Thread: Line Color

I was wondering how much difference line color matters while trolling. We just got back from Marathon, Fl. after a few days fishing and it seemed like more fish were hitting rods spooled with clear line (other rods were spooled with green line). Also, does anyone else agree with the idea of red/pink line, because it absorbs the shortest wavelengths of the light spectrum. Does this really make it less visible underwater?
    The report from Marathon is: 1 70 lb. White Marlin, 1 80 lb. Sail, a couple kings, a cobia, 10 dolphin, and saw 3 whites, and a sail free jump. All in 130 - 190 ft. of water. All off a 17' Scout.

I don't think it (line color) makes near as much difference to the fish as it does to the fisherman... they used to catch a LOT of fish on old braided line and twine.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Thats a great spot to fish. Those boys don't know how nice it is to be able to fish that close and still see a billfish. Were ya'll using live bait? How deep?
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

I agree, Sasha. My old man and uncle were wearing out YFT on dacron with wire leaders 30 years ago. George Poveromo or Hammers' mentor Tred would probably freak out about that. I have friends that swear by the cajun red lines and others that will only fish the Berkley vanish fluoro but, in my book, it's hard to beat good old fashioned clear mono. I will tell you, though, that for an inshore (spinning) application, I have grown very fond of Power Pro. You can chunk it a country mile and pack so much on a spool....hard to beat it.

Chasbeau, I read your report I can't help thinking how much of an understatement it would be to say you guys had an awesome day. Either way, I wish I had been there.

About the line...while it is true that the fishermen of thirty years ago caught a lot of fish, I would argue that current technology offers us the opportunity for better catches. Your line from the rod tip to the water does not really play into this but sometimes the leader does. Most of the rods I use are spooled up with high visibility Suffix and that stuff is pretty bright. However, I don't think it causes any problems with getting bites. Most if the time the line is out of the water anyway except on the long riggers and the shotgun line. What does matter...at times...is the leader with certain leader shy fish like tuna. But like most everything, there is always a contrary example. I once watched a small school of tuna (three or four) continually strike a teaser of Moldcraft squid rigged on black monofilament. Go figure.

damn, an 80# atlantic sail is freaking HUGE!! our state record here is 75#s and was set way back in 1968.

good job!
    wherever we go we bring monkey with us

Yeah, we were slow trolling live ballyhoo right off the edge of the reef. The sail was pretty damn impressive, and the marlin just about jumped in the boat when it took the bait. The guys at the dock didn't really give us the time of day when we rolled up in that little Scout looking for billfish the first day, but when they found out we caught a sail and a marlin that day, they treated us a little bit different when we returned.

i am going to haved to agree with the braided line theory
    WHAT IT LOOK LIKE!!