Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6.5 creedmore

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Do you have one fishing rod and reel for everything? One shirt or pair of pants? One pair of boots?
    One shotgun perhaps, but that's a bit different. If you just want to talk ballistics and performance this is indeed a great conversation. However, what you're looking for only exists in the eye of the individual holding it.
    I love my 30.06 and 7mm mag, and I feel like I have great variability with both calibers. So there's one more opinion .
    Funny thing is that I do have one fishing rod, Shimano stradic on a g-loomis rod. It was a gift from my dad on my 21st birthday. I love that rod and I have caught everything I care to catch on that rod.

But I get your point, and everyone else's, so let me do some clarifying. I'm a newly wed guy with a new mortgage who's trying to get by in his new life. In previous years I hunted with a .243, which I got rid of, then a 5.56, and yes I killed plenty of deer with it, but it wasn't very forgiving. Then my wife wanted to hunt, so I bought the 7mm-08, which I love and she loves. But again, the 7mm-08 isn't just mine nor do I think it would capable of my future endeavors. This next rifle is my first chance at a rifle that I can call my own, the rifle that none of my hunting buddies can borrow. The one I will take to the range and get to know throughout the off season. It'll be my rifle I sit the bean field with because I know that 350-400 yard shot isn't out of the question. The rifle I hope to kill an elk with one day. And I know I am limiting myself, I'm asking a lot out of one caliber. I want something I can kill the elk/deer/antelope/bear with, something I can afford to shoot on a weekly/monthly basis, and something with some decent range.

So thats a lot to consider. And I don't see the 300wsm being a good one at the range, bullets aren't cheap and the recoil is sure to have some negative effects. In all the research, I really think the 270 is starting to be the perfect caliber.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

.260 Remington, or shoot managed recoil rounds in the 30.06 for non grizzly hunting. If you want to shoot big bears, 30.06 will do it

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Funny thing is that I do have one fishing rod, Shimano stradic on a g-loomis rod. It was a gift from my dad on my 21st birthday. I love that rod and I have caught everything I care to catch on that rod.

But I get your point, and everyone else's, so let me do some clarifying. I'm a newly wed guy with a new mortgage who's trying to get by in his new life. In previous years I hunted with a .243, which I got rid of, then a 5.56, and yes I killed plenty of deer with it, but it wasn't very forgiving. Then my wife wanted to hunt, so I bought the 7mm-08, which I love and she loves. But again, the 7mm-08 isn't just mine nor do I think it would capable of my future endeavors. This next rifle is my first chance at a rifle that I can call my own, the rifle that none of my hunting buddies can borrow. The one I will take to the range and get to know throughout the off season. It'll be my rifle I sit the bean field with because I know that 350-400 yard shot isn't out of the question. The rifle I hope to kill an elk with one day. And I know I am limiting myself, I'm asking a lot out of one caliber. I want something I can kill the elk/deer/antelope/bear with, something I can afford to shoot on a weekly/monthly basis, and something with some decent range.

So thats a lot to consider. And I don't see the 300wsm being a good one at the range, bullets aren't cheap and the recoil is sure to have some negative effects. In all the research, I really think the 270 is starting to be the perfect caliber.
    Buy my Winchester M70 Super Grade 7mmRM. Recoil isn't bad, ammo is available everywhere and it'll kill anything in NA plus some. You get a CRF action in a beautiful stock.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by ndbrown213 View Post
    Mollie,

I built a 6.5x55 swede for this purpose. Using 140 grain Accubond.

Pretty rifle!

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

A lot of folks want something to hunt "out west" with. Here is another opinion FWIW. I used to do a fair bit of 500 yard shooting and learned a few things about longer distance accuracy, including doping mirage, wind, thermals, spin drift, etc. One thing that you really need to realize is that with most rifles you will find that just because a load shoots good at 100 yards, it absolutely DOES NOT guarantee that it will shoot well at longer distance such as 500 yards and beyond. I have found that you can shoot, say 5 loads that shoot equally well at 100 yards, but only one maybe two of them will light it up at 500 yards, sometimes none of them. There is a lot of trial and error and with factory ammo it can be even more frustrating finding something that works like you want. This is not to say that it can't be done......not at all. Sometimes you get lucky. It is just that there is a lot more to it than dialing in the windage and elevation "that the software said" and expecting to see the predicted POI, or the same percentage MOA ....or even close to it as you did at 100 yards.

I would suggest that you get a capable platform that has the potential to deliver the accuracy and energy that you want at the longest distance that you anticipate shooting......Learn to handload and then do a LOT of practicing. You might find a whole nother world out there that you didn't know existed. Good luck.......and get a Bartlein or Kreiger
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

A lot of folks want something to hunt "out west" with. Here is another opinion FWIW. I used to do a fair bit of 500 yard shooting and learned a few things about longer distance accuracy, including the effects of scope canting, as well as doping mirage, wind, thermals, spin drift, etc. One thing that you really need to realize is that with most rifles you will find that just because a load shoots good at 100 yards, it absolutely DOES NOT guarantee that it will shoot well at longer distance such as 500 yards and beyond. I have found that you can shoot, say 5 loads that shoot equally well at 100 yards, but only one maybe two of them will light it up at 500 yards, sometimes none of them. There is a lot of trial and error and with factory ammo it can be even more frustrating finding something that works like you want. This is not to say that it can't be done......not at all. Sometimes you get lucky. It is just that there is a lot more to it than dialing in the windage and elevation "that the software said" and expecting to see the predicted POI, or the same percentage MOA ....or even close to it as you did at 100 yards.

I would suggest that you get a capable platform that has the potential to deliver the accuracy and energy that you want at the longest distance that you anticipate shooting......Learn to handload and then do a LOT of practicing. You might find a whole nother world out there that you didn't know existed. Good luck.......and get a Bartlein or Kreiger
    Last edited by CWPINST; 02-22-2016 at 09:12 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

the dirty aught six will do all you need
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I have a 7mm rem mag for sale right now
    And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Acts 10:13