Thread: shrimp bait recipe

I was woundering what ratio of fish meal to clay you guys use the most. I useually us 2:1 and I like to add a little bit of fish oil.
    Be still and get your gun!!!!

When are y'all ever gonna learn that it's WAY better to buy 'em straigh off the boat for $2.00/lb than to:

a) drive to the coast if you don't already live there, pulling a boat, getting...maybe 14mpg trailering.. @ $2.00 something a gallon

b) gas and oil in the boat

c) ice/beer/food/drinks and etc from the store for.. oh let's say $50.00

d) mixing up bait balls and having to deal with storing the left over fish meal...that is if the dog doesn't get into it and then go nuts.

e) heading shrimp and cleaning all of your shit up

No thank 'ye. Too much other shit to do in the fall than chunk a cast net up and down a set of polls, when I can let the local Geeche people sustain their way of life and make mine a helluva a lot more simple and enjoyable.

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

You are so righttttt!

I got 30 count for $1.95 the Saturday after Labor Day off a boat in Georgetown with a 25 lb minimum!
    Met a guy at the Conch Cafe in Garden City who got me the contact!
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

Sc_countryboy, we usually use a lot leaner mix than what you use. Usually in the neighborhood of 3 clay to 1 meal. Maybe even 4:1 sometimes. The bait balls seem to hold together much longer with the increased clay ratio and the shrimp don't seem to care one way or the other. Have never tried adding the oil. Do you think it helps?
    I have 2 guns, one for each of you

I don't know if it really helps. It is just something we do.
    Be still and get your gun!!!!

There was a crazy old man I know who used to put Hog pellets in his. Anyone else ever do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

3 parts clay (only kaolin) to 2 parts meal. That is about as rich as you can get it and still have it last a good while. 50/50 dissolves too quickly.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

My dad and I used to go all the time using clay and meal- but he found that using all purpose flour was better. He used a 5 gallon bucket of meal with a 5 lb bag of all purpose flour. Mix it well before adding the water. Add water slowly- making sure it gets mixed well. Also- by adding water slowly- you don't add too much and making it watery. We also found if we made the balls at the landing using the salt water- they held up better- not sure why.
    Life is a highway and I'm ready to ride!

CU does it rise better with a bit of baking powder [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Mmmmmmmm fish pancakes.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Me pap is selling 16/20's and they are counting 17 or 18 fer 2.70 a lb. That comes out to around 3.50 fer tails. Those are 26/30 tails I'm talking about. I was in mcville this wkend and there were scads of pole runners. I guess it's fun under the right situation.
    easy livin'

3:2 clay to meal is about the best ratio we have found to work. It is not about saving money on shrimp it is about getting out on the water and catching your own.

Just found this site nd loogin in, Talkin about shrimping got my interest. I mix 1/3 meal to 2/3 clay and use Manhadden oils opening day 6 passes to cooler but you have to be in the right spot.
    collard greens and possum innerds is just as good the next day

taped net deep hole in the day light no mess no problem then trout fish once the shrimp bury up in the mud!!!!!!