Thread: Grand Cayman bonefish?

Default Grand Cayman bonefish?

Anybody know of a decent guide or have any firsthand knowledge of fishing for bones self-guided? February-ish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Send a PM to "Cat III"
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I booked a trip with Davin Ebanks this summer. He was sick so he sent his guiding partner. It was a decent trip, but the wind and current had most of their productive flats unfishable. We drove around in a beat up old van all day and he took me to a hole in the wall jerk chicken stand for lunch. Fishing was super slow, but I did get my first bonefish on fly. It was tiny, but it was sight fished and caught on a fly I tied myself so it counts.

It's basically all wade fishing down there. He was a really nice dude and he tried his best to put me on fish. I also had a couple shots at some small tarpon, which is apparently not uncommon.

He ended up taking me to the middle of Georgetown and tried to get me to take some shots at the tame tarpon that the restaurants feed scraps to. I politely asked to move on, as I equate this to losing your virginity to a hooker.

It's definitely not the Bahamas, but there are fish to be had. I think the website is www.fish-bones.com. There is a ton of helpful info and some pretty detailed directions on where to fish of you go the DIY route.

All in all it was a decent experience. It wasn't anything like the bone fishing I'd seen on TV, but the price reflected that I think.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want more details. My wife and I were there for a week in June for our honeymoon.

Rent a car and drive to the back side of the island, they are there but tough to catch

Well, I'm back and didn't find the bones. We stayed on East End. There aren't any areas that one would consider bonefish flats. The water I waded (Frank Sound) was nut deep 30 yards from the beach sand. Visibility was difficult due to eel grass, overcast shies and wind. I did get to cast at a few pods of small tarpon but they were boat landing fish that had already seen everything. I didn't push it very hard and only gave it a cursory try.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk