Thread: sand fleas

I used to live in florida when I was younger...titusville to be exact, we often surf fished at playalinda beach, we always took a shovel and dug tons of sand fleas, I have lived in beaufort and now in cola, and everytime I go to the beach I try and find em and can't ever find one, seen a few dead ones but never was able to dig any...any tips...there great bait for anything...but I just cannot dig em up here?
    Start counting backwards from 100...

try a sand flea basket... they are a great bait for pompano.

http://www.shoreproducts.com/

I've dug them in Forida too but they don't seem to exist on the beaches near me. Haddrell's Point Tackle in Mt. Pleasant sells frozen ones or at least they have in the past.

talked to my brother who was in the outer banks last weekend and said he dug all he wanted, is there some kind of conspiracy against the sand flea in SC

We used to find them all the time in front of wild dunes, but that was 15 yrs ago.
    Haven't seen em since i was young, but then again i haven't been building sand castles for many years now.
    They make damn fine sheepie bait.
    Used to see them on hunting island alot too.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

use to dig them up in Florida until they started the beach renurishment projects. That ended it.

We find them with great ease around Surfside & Garden City. As someone else said, they're great for pompano! The way we find them is to either see them dig into the sand or find the air bubbles coming when they bury when the water recedes. We'll dig a dozen or so & keep them in a bucket with some sand & water. When we use those up, just dig more.
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

Playlinda beach huh? You ever venture up past the last walkway over the dune?

If I did...I was like 4 yrs old and I don't remeber much, but I do remember picking sand fleas out of shovel fulls of sand for my dad...

They are considered an endangered species in SC therefore their possession is prohibited.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Anyone ever fish with crotch crickets?
    Kill them all...

In the past couple of years I have dug many a sand flea out of a beach in Litchfield. Each time though, it was easier to find them in the AM vs PM.

Originally posted by deep:
    If I did...I was like 4 yrs old and I don't remeber much, but I do remember picking sand fleas out of shovel fulls of sand for my dad...
    Probably for the best since that end is a nude beach.