Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Hunting Rifle_Please Help

Jarrett Signature and be done with it.

Last edited by SOUTHERN WOODS; 09-28-2015 at 07:10 PM.

that is a sharp looking Savage

There's no such thing as a sharp looking Savage. Savage rifles are butt ugly in any configuration. They'll shoot no doubt about it but they are tools to be used and abused.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 09-29-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

opinions and assholes

No fact and more fact. I own and shoot Savage guns, they shoot like hell and look like shit. There's a lot of classier, more polished, cleaner looking, refined guns out there for the people that want a nice rifle. You want a tool to knock around in the mud and muck, buy a Savage.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    No fact and more fact. I own and shoot Savage guns, they shoot like hell and look like shit. There's a lot of classier, more polished, cleaner looking, refined guns out there for the people that want a nice rifle. You want a tool to knock around in the mud and muck, buy a Savage.
    I agree. Closing the bolt on a savage is like "throwing a hot dog down a hallway." It has the smoothness of glued up sand paper and if you can make it past that 18lb trigger (assuming its not an acutrigger) it will hit the mark. I would put their accuracy right behind Tikka and their fit and finish behind a Remington.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Model 70. Look for new old stock rifles that don't say assembled in Portugal. Up until 2014, all model 70 rifles were assembled at the FN plant in Columbia SC. The barrels and maybe the actions are still made by FN.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I've posted this before...Browning A-bolts all in .30-06.

I really like both of the A bolts that I have owned- flawless and great accuracy with selected ammo

So you bought multiple ugly savages, why? With so many other options...

I will concede with them not being pretty. I meant sharp, in a weapon sense. I have a walnut savage that gets complemented a lot, and it's old as hell. Maybe we just hang out at different deer camps.

I have a Savage model 111 I think in 30-06 - it's as accurate as all get out but it's a butt- ugly rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    So you bought multiple ugly savages, why? With so many other options...

I will concede with them not being pretty. I meant sharp, in a weapon sense. I have a walnut savage that gets complemented a lot, and it's old as hell. Maybe we just hang out at different deer camps.
    I too have had several compliments on my old 110
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Excuse the mess and look to the right of my ugly Sako, BLR 30-06. It's not a bolt, I don't plan to shoot across open plains with it, but Browning can make a pretty rifle.

[IMG]

There's no scratches on it either, anywhere, must have been mud at the time
    Last edited by Highstrung; 09-29-2015 at 06:30 PM.

HS, how do you like that Filson shooting bag you've got in the backseat? I find myself going through the cheap ones every other year and have looked at the Filsons. Are they worth the money?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

It's held up, I got that one from Hart a few years back. I normally only wear one the first few shoots a year then switch to a vest when it cools down.

Best shouldering rifle I've ever shot Kimber 84m Classis Stainless

Last edited by CAJUN LAB; 09-29-2015 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    Salty - If I remember correctly, your Super Grade is a 7mm Rem Mag. That is the rifle I just got rid of in a different make (Browning BAR Grade II). The Super Grade is a beautiful gun but I'm not looking for a 7mm right now.

Re: Sako 85, I'm seriously considering those as well just didn't mention them above. The chat online is that they can suffer some accuracy out of the box as well. I fully understand everyone online is an "expert" and you have to take each review lightly but is this something to be concerned about with a new Sako? I mean, I don't want to have to spend more money bedding and working the trigger just to get 2.5" groups at 150 yds. Am I being too sensitive to the bad reviews on Sako and Kimber?
    Take MOST of what you hear about Kimber with a grain of salt. At the moment, I own one. A 84M in .260 Rem. It's EASILY, the best shooting rifle I've ever owned.
    Kimber DID have some trouble with a run of 7mm-08 barrels, and actually halted production and sales on them till they solved the issue.
    The .308's are typically the most consistant on accuracy.
    Can you get a bad one? SURE! But the same can be said for most any gunmaker. I'm still searching for a round that shoots consistantly under 2" in my mom's Tikka T-3 stainless .243.

Here's a couple examples of my Kimber .260. Granted, they're 3 shot groups, but you'll get the idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    HS, how do you like that Filson shooting bag you've got in the backseat? I find myself going through the cheap ones every other year and have looked at the Filsons. Are they worth the money?
    I love mine. Definitely worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERN WOODS View Post
    There's no such thing as a sharp looking Savage. Savage rifles are butt ugly in any configuration. They'll shoot no doubt about it but they are tools to be used and abused.
    Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    I agree. Closing the bolt on a savage is like "throwing a hot dog down a hallway." It has the smoothness of glued up sand paper and if you can make it past that 18lb trigger (assuming its not an acutrigger) it will hit the mark. I would put their accuracy right behind Tikka and their fit and finish behind a Remington.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolo Contendere View Post
    I have a Savage model 111 I think in 30-06 - it's as accurate as all get out but it's a butt- ugly rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I too have had several compliments on my old 110
    I can't argue with any of the points that these gentlemen have made, so I'll echo some of them. There is no reason to buy a Savage if it isn't equipped with an Accutrigger. If you want to buy pretty, look somewhere else. Like Salty opined, it's a tool, and as such it does the job it was designed to do. Personally, I feel that the Savage offers tremendous value for your dollar.
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"

Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff