Thread: good taxidermist

Killed a drake wigeon the other day, happened to be my first. Was wondering if anybody knew of a good taxidermist around columbia or pee dee area. Need a good mount tired of lettin birds sit in panty hose in the freezer

thanks

Vince Smith does a very good job on ducks. I have a friend who got a drake widgeon done by him and it is very good. PM me for phone numbers if you are interested.
    Be still and get your gun!!!!

Buddy Piner in Gresham is the best I've seen around here.

Check out wateree whitetails and waterfowl, he's in lugoff. He's slow as christmas but does an excellent job, I've had a pintail and widgeon done by him and was pleased.
    "It's a numbers game" - Mac Owen
    Endangered: Farmers, Watermen, and Rural Life

Look up Keith Crout in West Columbia. He specializes in waterfowl and did a superb job on a black duck for me. I had it back in 1 month.

Danny Stanley is the best I've ever seen. He's in Horry County. I know that may be a little far for you, but if you want directions, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

Hey ya'll - I had two of my mounts severely damaged the last time I moved. One is a pintail and the other is a rock fish. Do either of you know if these guys do repairs as well as mounts? I have been having a difficult time finding someone willing to do them. Thanks for any help.
    "A wife that cooks and cleans the dishes deserves these three wishes... A grateful mate, a well kissed cheek, and a restaurant dinner at least once a week!" - Pabst Blue Ribbon

Countrygirl if you need that fish fixed give Bill Waldon a call at American Outdoorsman 864-682-3836. He might can fix the pintail. He has done a great job for me, he has mounted two woodies, a mallard, and black for me and did a great job.

Thank you, I will give him a holler.
    "A wife that cooks and cleans the dishes deserves these three wishes... A grateful mate, a well kissed cheek, and a restaurant dinner at least once a week!" - Pabst Blue Ribbon

I'm with dukhntr...Danny Stanley is the man.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I agree that Keith Crout does a great job too. He's listed as Carolina Taxidermy in the Columbia Area Phonebook. He did a ruddy duck for me and has a bufflehead and mallard of mine. he's taking about 5 months right now from what he said but its well worth the wait. He's mainly behind because other taxidermists in the area send alot of their ducks to him to help them catch up.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

SCTIMBER Coots

2nd that motion on Buddy Piner, his work is great, he's located off Hwy 9 (Gresham Hwy), also where is Stanley located at in Horry Co.? If I can get his address/number I'll keep it handy for the next time I need some work done

i also send my mounts to buddy piner. good guy and does great work

How about a taxidermist in the upstate? I have a drake Bluewing that I want to have mounted.

You may want to consider Charlie Parker, he's in Denmark, SC.

If your open to sending the bird out of state you definitely want to look into Shane Smith in Alabama. I wont go anywhere else. An example of Shane's work:

DEFINITELY DON'T SEND THE BIRD TO FINLEY'S!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Hey Timber,

Danny Stanly Taxidermy
    1862 Emery Rd. Loris, SC
    843-756-6724

Is Finleys behind Monterays in Cayce?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

No , that is Blackwater taxidermy and I would steer far away from this place . I paid Keith up front so he could go ahead and start on my bird first . It took about 6-7 months to get my wigeon back and I found out that he sent the bird to Carolina Taxidermy behind the Uhaul off Highway #1 . Keith Crout (from carolina taxidermy) does excellent work and I've had 2 birds mountd by him now . Keith Taylor kept giving me the run around and I prob called him 20 times to get my bird back when I did . If I wanted my bird mounted by someone else initially ,I wound have taken it there myself . Last year after duck season I went to pick up my wood duck from Keith Crout . While I was there Keith Taylor called him and asked him how much he would charge to do about 25 deer horn mounts . Keith Taylor agrees to give you a free horn mount if you give him the cape from your deer . He uses the capes for customers that have damaged capes , but still want a shoulder mount . Keith Crout told him he would charge $25 and Keith Taylor said he couldn't pay that much because he was giving the to the customer for free .

overall :

Keith Taylor from Backwater === bad business and is dishonest . Don't go there . I have friends that had not received there horn mounts from 2-3 years ago

Keith Crout from Carolina Taxidermy === nice guy that does an excellent mount of any kind . You should go by his place and look in his room full of beautiful birds , fish , and deer mounts .

the number for Carolina Taxidermy is 803-791-4845. His place is on 221 Roof street