Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast

Thread: The "Flag"

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    Why is that? Many on here want a "democracy" and let everyone vote on the issue instead of politicians being the only ones voting on it. Why cherry pick which issue we all can vote on?
    Because the cormorant season is a truly insignificant issue in comparison. I could care less how they vote on it, and it's petty in comparison to the discussion here.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    But the same gov. has missiles and choppers named Tomahawk, Comanche, Blackhawk and plenty more.....
    t
    ...and has committed some of the worst genocide in history.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Roddie, I respect your opinion and do understand that this is an all but done deal...but I'm with ECU on this one...It's not that the flag is coming down, but the manner in which it's coming down in. It's the fact that input from the public is not being sought and outside pressures from and including the RNC and GOP are causing misjudgment and knee jerk reactions from our state leadership. All to further their own agenda and political career. It's also disheartening to know that our representatives and senators are caving so quickly knowing that this is not going to stop at the flag. Look at how this as already snowballed throughout the South. Look at all the monuments and plaques being threatened. For christ sakes...look at the General Lee. What did that orange Dodge Charger ever do to anyone. Taken the flag off that car is like putting Daisy Duke in pants.
    I might have come across wrong, but that's what I was trying to say, except that I don't think it's pressure causing the RNC and GOP to do what they're doing. They are trying to ADD voters in preparation for elections. Bottom Line Up Front: They want the black vote and this is almost the "perfect" scenario to garner their support. They know that the rest of the base will still vote Republican just to spite any Democrat opponent.
    Last edited by Roddie; 06-25-2015 at 05:15 PM.
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    I might have come across wrong, but that's what I was trying to say, except that I don't think it's pressure causing the RNC and GOP to do what they're doing. They are trying to ADD voters in preparation for elections. Bottom Line Up Front: They want the black vote and this is almost the "perfect" scenario to garner their support.
    I get that but if you think the rnc and gop didn't call Nikki Haley and tell her to get this taken care of befor primary debates your crazy. And I'm sure they said get this taken care of and we'll take care of you on a national level since she's done after this term. You see this issue needs to be laid to rest befor the debates start because no one that supports the flag could win the election. No one that denounces the flag could win SC. And no one can win without winning SC. See how that catch22 works?

Treason: violation of allegiance toward one's country or sovereign, especially the betrayal of one's country by waging war against it or by consciously and purposely acting to aid its enemies.

All week long, like every other week, I have listened to WGTK Talk Radio. Of course the consuming topic of conversation was the Confederate flag issue....which, in case no one else has noticed, was a virtual non-issue in NC, SC, Alabama, Mississippi, or anywhere else in the United States of America prior to that horrific Wednesday night in Charleston. It was a non issue with Amazon, WalMart, Ebay, Sears, Apple. A non-issue with Democrats, a non-issue with Republicans, a non-issue with Independants. It was a non-issue at the University of South Carolina, The Citadel, The College of Charleston.

The Confederate flag was nothing more then than what it is now. A flag. It didn't represent hate and racism to any of the above mentioned retailers, states or colleges or with any of the aforementioned political parties.

And then all of a sudden it BECAME an issue. Nothing changed about the flag. It took on no new meaning after that Wednesday than it had before that Wednesday. If that flag IS a symbol of racism and hate and evil and treason (as I have listen to AD NAUSEAM all week) NOW, then it was a symbol of racism and hate and evil and treason THEN and not a single one of you bandwagon riding, holier than thou, white guilt ridden people were taking to Facebook before to decry its very existence, to pontificate on its evil, to boycott, or anything else to try and obliterate it from history. Rather many of you embraced a cause celebre and took advantage to soapbox and grand stand and while doing that many of you have deeply offended many of us. Deeply, deeply offended MANY of us. And for you Southerners who have jumped on that bandwagon, you're only telling on yourselves when you decry it, you're telling people what it means to you...like a neon sign.

Now I'm not going to waste anyone's time calling attention to the OBVIOUS logic that ANY object can be made to represent ANY intention, good, evil or indifferent. Such as the US flag being THE flag of the KKK and the Aryan Nation. Or the swastika being co opted by Nazi Germany, but in fact is a 5000 year old symbol that meant "good will" in Sanskrit.

But just as innocent symbols can be made to represent ugly intentions, objects used to represent ugly intentions can be made innocent. And regardless of WHY that flag was created, to uphold slavery, to demand states' rights, to defend our Southern states, that is not what it represents today. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

And for the record, I don't own one, I don't intend to ever own one and I am fine with it coming down and going either into a museum or on ground maintained by private trust or public donations. What I am not ok with is the knee-jerk reaction by the politicians in this state, the domino effect happening in other Southern states and the fact that this sweeping action WILL NOT stop with the flag being removed or vanity plates being revoked.

This tide of ethnocentrism will result in the removal of statues, street names, public school names, monuments and memorials to a culture that BELONGS TO US. Don't poke a 150 year old sleeping dragon.

Those of you calling us Southerners treasonous and evil like I've listened to all damned week, I refer you to my first paragraph and The Revolutionary War.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Bested by Tee. Just damn...

...Shurman marches back through The South.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    Treason: violation of allegiance toward one's country or sovereign, especially the betrayal of one's country by waging war against it or by consciously and purposely acting to aid its enemies.

All week long, like every other week, I have listened to WGTK Talk Radio. Of course the consuming topic of conversation was the Confederate flag issue....which, in case no one else has noticed, was a virtual non-issue in NC, SC, Alabama, Mississippi, or anywhere else in the United States of America prior to that horrific Wednesday night in Charleston. It was a non issue with Amazon, WalMart, Ebay, Sears, Apple. A non-issue with Democrats, a non-issue with Republicans, a non-issue with Independants. It was a non-issue at the University of South Carolina, The Citadel, The College of Charleston.

The Confederate flag was nothing more then than what it is now. A flag. It didn't represent hate and racism to any of the above mentioned retailers, states or colleges or with any of the aforementioned political parties.

And then all of a sudden it BECAME an issue. Nothing changed about the flag. It took on no new meaning after that Wednesday than it had before that Wednesday. If that flag IS a symbol of racism and hate and evil and treason (as I have listen to AD NAUSEAM all week) NOW, then it was a symbol of racism and hate and evil and treason THEN and not a single one of you bandwagon riding, holier than thou, white guilt ridden people were taking to Facebook before to decry its very existence, to pontificate on its evil, to boycott, or anything else to try and obliterate it from history. Rather many of you embraced a cause celebre and took advantage to soapbox and grand stand and while doing that many of you have deeply offended many of us. Deeply, deeply offended MANY of us. And for you Southerners who have jumped on that bandwagon, you're only telling on yourselves when you decry it, you're telling people what it means to you...like a neon sign.

Now I'm not going to waste anyone's time calling attention to the OBVIOUS logic that ANY object can be made to represent ANY intention, good, evil or indifferent. Such as the US flag being THE flag of the KKK and the Aryan Nation. Or the swastika being co opted by Nazi Germany, but in fact is a 5000 year old symbol that meant "good will" in Sanskrit.

But just as innocent symbols can be made to represent ugly intentions, objects used to represent ugly intentions can be made innocent. And regardless of WHY that flag was created, to uphold slavery, to demand states' rights, to defend our Southern states, that is not what it represents today. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

And for the record, I don't own one, I don't intend to ever own one and I am fine with it coming down and going either into a museum or on ground maintained by private trust or public donations. What I am not ok with is the knee-jerk reaction by the politicians in this state, the domino effect happening in other Southern states and the fact that this sweeping action WILL NOT stop with the flag being removed or vanity plates being revoked.

This tide of ethnocentrism will result in the removal of statues, street names, public school names, monuments and memorials to a culture that BELONGS TO US. Don't poke a 150 year old sleeping dragon.

Those of you calling us Southerners treasonous and evil like I've listened to all damned week, I refer you to my first paragraph and The Revolutionary War.
    Preach it! There are far too many who jumped on the bandwagon here, and are now rethinking it. This is a slippery slope indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post

One of the best in this whole thread.

I might have come across wrong, but that's what I was trying to say, except that I don't think it's pressure causing the RNC and GOP to do what they're doing. They are trying to ADD voters in preparation for elections. Bottom Line Up Front: They want the black vote and this is almost the "perfect" scenario to garner their support. They know that the rest of the base will still vote Republican just to spite any Democrat opponent.
    Well if they want the black vote then they better be black themselves. Black folks don't even turnout to vote unless there is a black candidate. Look at poll results from 2004 to 2008. You mean to tell me that all those black folks turned out to vote because they had a hunch that Obama was gonna be a great president? I think not.
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 06-25-2015 at 11:07 PM.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Taken the flag off that car is like putting Daisy Duke in pants.
    But what if they are yoga pants?

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    But what if they are yoga pants?
    I like yoga pants but they don't hold a candle to them cutoff blue jean shorts showing them fine, smooth, tan legs, and the calf muscle.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/...f_the_sou.html

By Courtney Daniels, a Birmingham native, former U.S. Marine and veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom
    In 2001, the Taliban shamelessly dynamited the Bamiyan Buddhas, two of the largest such carvings of the ancient world. Built in the 6th century by monks who made their homes along the Silk Road, the Buddahs stood for millenia until fundamentalists removed them from the face of the Earth. Such ignorance still abounds. Over the past few months, the onslaught of the Islamic State has wrought the systematic destruction of cultural artifacts from Palmyra to Nineva, all because they were deemed "offensive" by a minority that if it had its way, would ensure the entire world would adhere to a dark and revisionist existence.
    A couple of days ago, in the wake of a childish debate over a memorial flag flown near a Confederate statue, a Southern monument was ignorantly desecrated with an attempt at the "Black Lives Matter" slogan. The spray-painted phrase was misspelled. The inanimate statue, a solemn reminder of the South's fallen sons, didn't take away any citizen's pursuit of happiness, it didn't interfere with the social and racial disparities that some claim as a detriment to advancement -- it simply stood there, silent and bold, marking the bravery and errors of yesterday's determinations.
    From the gun debate to the flag debate (which are both somehow tied to this most recent, senseless shooting tragedy) it seems that liberal thought continues to show its fear of inanimate objects. Such a way of thinking never holds PEOPLE accountable. Instead it points fingers in every other direction.
    The removal of a historical banner won't stop racists from exercising bigotry. As a matter of fact, racists will be racists despite regulations and constant "feel good" legislation, no flag needed. The ignorance of the disgruntled protestors is evident in their refusal to acknowledge that the flag widely recognized as the "Confederate Flag" was never actually adopted as the flag of the Confederacy. They'll also never admit or realize that not only was slavery not the motivating factor for the ensuing civil war, but that slavery was an American institution, not a Confederate one.
    The Confederacy, in its prime, never mounted the atrocities of the Trail of Tears or the Black Hills conspiracy. But it seems that all because a few cowards in bedsheets once hijacked the gorgeous colors of a banner so rich in history to terrorize and intimidate other Americans, we condemn the Southern cloth to oblivion as a misnamed symbol of hate. It doesn't matter that slaves outside of the declared boundaries remained enslaved in the North. Neither does it matter that many Southerners gave up plots of their property to house and provide compensable labor for black workers. It doesn't matter that *******, who is often regarded as the liberator of enslaved blacks cared less for the welfare of slaves than for the sovereignty of an entire country.
    Courtney Daniels (contributed photo)
    Where I come from, deep in the Heart of Dixie, I see that flag every single day with its bold red field and star-studded cross of St. Andrews in royal blue. I hold a certain respect for it that others fueled by emotion and misinformation wouldn't understand. I revere it as a son of the South in a way that would confuse those on the outside looking in, who by the way are not entitled to commentary on which flag waves in our humid Southern breeze. I spot it on not so subtle scavenger hunts gracing a random shirt at the gas station, the hat of the guy behind the counter at my local bait and tackle shop, and the bed of a passing pickup with the accompanying decal "Southern Pride." I smile because I know that if in need, that guy would give me that same shirt off his back. I smile because I live in a region that has a certain defiance that only a select few inherit.
    As a black man who grew up in the South, I'll admit I didn't always see the issue with this same clarity. I blindly followed the sentimentalism of my parents and educators who passed judgement from a seat of victimization, failing to challenge evidence to the contrary. My opinion on the Battle Flag was swayed as a 13-year-old reading a contributor's opinion in the Birmingham News, circa 2001. A white man with Confederate heritage, he acknowledged that he had never considered the flag flying on his front lawn to have held such a negative connotation in the minds of so many blacks. I remember from reading the column, he had a certain politeness that urged him to take his flag down and hang it indoors out of respect for those who didn't like it. I respected his consideration and it prompted me to do my own homework on what role the Civil War and the flag in question played in my ancestor's past and my own future. I realized then that I had foolishly labeled every white person sporting the flag as a racist, with no facts to back my claim and without placing myself in their shoes or knowing them personally.
    In short, I've come to terms with it being a wrongfully vilified piece of Southern culture, as important to our collective heritage as RC Cola and Moon Pies.
    In so many ways, the South is the conscience of the entire nation. In the 21st century with Americans abandoning all decency and forgetting to walk tall, the South still manages to maintain a certain air of moral obligation that has been all but lost in northern enclaves like Philadelphia where Americans scowl at one another, heavily divided by racial suspicion and bigotry, or cities like New York where neighborhoods a century after the Great Migration of blacks are still heavily defined by skin tone and distrust. In the South, we mingle. We play. We do like Willie Mays and "say hey" no matter the color of the person sitting on the porch. I walk into my local grocery with my daughter and like the tick of the clock, I know I can count on an endearing "Hey baby doll, you need some help?" from the attendant whose skin heavily contrasts mine. Her "y'all come on back now" is the most welcoming invitation I could ever hear.
    It's clear that as a nation, we are embarking on a new, revised, politically correct avenue of apology. The future is a dim one, void of backbone and fistfights. No more, "each according to the dictates of his own conscience."
    "If it offends my neighbor, make it illegal, dynamite it, wipe it from the face of the Earth" rages the contentious fascist. It's becoming clear that what those progressives want is a new, bleak, unrecognizable South, its accomplishments and errors equally stricken from the annals of history. They wish its monuments to be no more, the names of its generals removed from every institution, it's antebellum flair retold as a horror story as if *******'s destruction wasn't enough of a disgrace.
    I am from the great state of Alabama and live between the rivers of Tennessee. I am a proud American and maybe in ways, an even louder Southerner. Can't help it. I relate because I'm a rebel in so many ways and I'm very proud of where I'm from. I can read an accent from either Carolina and know that I'm in good company. I can present my pistol permit to a Texas Ranger and trust that it will be honored four hundred miles in the other direction. I know that I can stop for small talk in any Waffle House in Georgia, and strike up a meaningful conversation with the Walmart shopper behind me in line in Mississippi. I don't need to know those people, they already know me. I am related to them and they are related to me.
    If you don't know us but have an opinion about how we should live our lives or if you can't dissect the FACTS of a situation without making it a divisive issue, as Southerners, we only have one thing to say to your folly: "Bless your heart."

Bang Biscuit!!! Scatter Shot.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/...f_the_sou.html

By Courtney Daniels, a Birmingham native, former U.S. Marine and veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom
    In 2001, the Taliban shamelessly dynamited the Bamiyan Buddhas, two of the largest such carvings of the ancient world. Built in the 6th century by monks who made their homes along the Silk Road, the Buddahs stood for millenia until fundamentalists removed them from the face of the Earth. Such ignorance still abounds. Over the past few months, the onslaught of the Islamic State has wrought the systematic destruction of cultural artifacts from Palmyra to Nineva, all because they were deemed "offensive" by a minority that if it had its way, would ensure the entire world would adhere to a dark and revisionist existence.
    A couple of days ago, in the wake of a childish debate over a memorial flag flown near a Confederate statue, a Southern monument was ignorantly desecrated with an attempt at the "Black Lives Matter" slogan. The spray-painted phrase was misspelled. The inanimate statue, a solemn reminder of the South's fallen sons, didn't take away any citizen's pursuit of happiness, it didn't interfere with the social and racial disparities that some claim as a detriment to advancement -- it simply stood there, silent and bold, marking the bravery and errors of yesterday's determinations.
    From the gun debate to the flag debate (which are both somehow tied to this most recent, senseless shooting tragedy) it seems that liberal thought continues to show its fear of inanimate objects. Such a way of thinking never holds PEOPLE accountable. Instead it points fingers in every other direction.
    The removal of a historical banner won't stop racists from exercising bigotry. As a matter of fact, racists will be racists despite regulations and constant "feel good" legislation, no flag needed. The ignorance of the disgruntled protestors is evident in their refusal to acknowledge that the flag widely recognized as the "Confederate Flag" was never actually adopted as the flag of the Confederacy. They'll also never admit or realize that not only was slavery not the motivating factor for the ensuing civil war, but that slavery was an American institution, not a Confederate one.
    The Confederacy, in its prime, never mounted the atrocities of the Trail of Tears or the Black Hills conspiracy. But it seems that all because a few cowards in bedsheets once hijacked the gorgeous colors of a banner so rich in history to terrorize and intimidate other Americans, we condemn the Southern cloth to oblivion as a misnamed symbol of hate. It doesn't matter that slaves outside of the declared boundaries remained enslaved in the North. Neither does it matter that many Southerners gave up plots of their property to house and provide compensable labor for black workers. It doesn't matter that *******, who is often regarded as the liberator of enslaved blacks cared less for the welfare of slaves than for the sovereignty of an entire country.
    Courtney Daniels (contributed photo)
    Where I come from, deep in the Heart of Dixie, I see that flag every single day with its bold red field and star-studded cross of St. Andrews in royal blue. I hold a certain respect for it that others fueled by emotion and misinformation wouldn't understand. I revere it as a son of the South in a way that would confuse those on the outside looking in, who by the way are not entitled to commentary on which flag waves in our humid Southern breeze. I spot it on not so subtle scavenger hunts gracing a random shirt at the gas station, the hat of the guy behind the counter at my local bait and tackle shop, and the bed of a passing pickup with the accompanying decal "Southern Pride." I smile because I know that if in need, that guy would give me that same shirt off his back. I smile because I live in a region that has a certain defiance that only a select few inherit.
    As a black man who grew up in the South, I'll admit I didn't always see the issue with this same clarity. I blindly followed the sentimentalism of my parents and educators who passed judgement from a seat of victimization, failing to challenge evidence to the contrary. My opinion on the Battle Flag was swayed as a 13-year-old reading a contributor's opinion in the Birmingham News, circa 2001. A white man with Confederate heritage, he acknowledged that he had never considered the flag flying on his front lawn to have held such a negative connotation in the minds of so many blacks. I remember from reading the column, he had a certain politeness that urged him to take his flag down and hang it indoors out of respect for those who didn't like it. I respected his consideration and it prompted me to do my own homework on what role the Civil War and the flag in question played in my ancestor's past and my own future. I realized then that I had foolishly labeled every white person sporting the flag as a racist, with no facts to back my claim and without placing myself in their shoes or knowing them personally.
    In short, I've come to terms with it being a wrongfully vilified piece of Southern culture, as important to our collective heritage as RC Cola and Moon Pies.
    In so many ways, the South is the conscience of the entire nation. In the 21st century with Americans abandoning all decency and forgetting to walk tall, the South still manages to maintain a certain air of moral obligation that has been all but lost in northern enclaves like Philadelphia where Americans scowl at one another, heavily divided by racial suspicion and bigotry, or cities like New York where neighborhoods a century after the Great Migration of blacks are still heavily defined by skin tone and distrust. In the South, we mingle. We play. We do like Willie Mays and "say hey" no matter the color of the person sitting on the porch. I walk into my local grocery with my daughter and like the tick of the clock, I know I can count on an endearing "Hey baby doll, you need some help?" from the attendant whose skin heavily contrasts mine. Her "y'all come on back now" is the most welcoming invitation I could ever hear.
    It's clear that as a nation, we are embarking on a new, revised, politically correct avenue of apology. The future is a dim one, void of backbone and fistfights. No more, "each according to the dictates of his own conscience."
    "If it offends my neighbor, make it illegal, dynamite it, wipe it from the face of the Earth" rages the contentious fascist. It's becoming clear that what those progressives want is a new, bleak, unrecognizable South, its accomplishments and errors equally stricken from the annals of history. They wish its monuments to be no more, the names of its generals removed from every institution, it's antebellum flair retold as a horror story as if *******'s destruction wasn't enough of a disgrace.
    I am from the great state of Alabama and live between the rivers of Tennessee. I am a proud American and maybe in ways, an even louder Southerner. Can't help it. I relate because I'm a rebel in so many ways and I'm very proud of where I'm from. I can read an accent from either Carolina and know that I'm in good company. I can present my pistol permit to a Texas Ranger and trust that it will be honored four hundred miles in the other direction. I know that I can stop for small talk in any Waffle House in Georgia, and strike up a meaningful conversation with the Walmart shopper behind me in line in Mississippi. I don't need to know those people, they already know me. I am related to them and they are related to me.
    If you don't know us but have an opinion about how we should live our lives or if you can't dissect the FACTS of a situation without making it a divisive issue, as Southerners, we only have one thing to say to your folly: "Bless your heart."

Wow................... Excellent piece... As Jerry Clower would say..."Hawwww ........He forever more shelled down the corn" ...............
    Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium. -

I prefer liberty with danger, to peace with slavery.

If we are going to remove all things that have been used by hate groups, when will we remove the American flag?

I can assure you with Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, the NAACP, and other racist in town....they are feeling the pressure. This crap is well orchestrated. The reason there haven't been riots and civil disobedience is in part because the politicians have decided its best to toe the line that these folks demand. Follow the money and follow the votes...

I just read where SC is calling for a ban on Tylenol and other otc medications that use cotton in their bottles, for fear of perpetuating slavery by making people pick it out.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 06-26-2015 at 01:00 PM.

There sure are a bunch of hysterical bitches on this website.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    There sure are a bunch of hysterical bitches on this website.
    Yep.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

:redneck: