Thread: Father and son fishing trip

Default Father and son fishing trip

So we left the office early Friday and made the trek up to more head city, nc to fish with a guide friend. The goal was to sight cast for some cobia. I never thought about a red fish but man did we find them.

Id like to tell you the story but I don't know that anyone would believe me. So we are cruising down the beach looking for bait balls that usually have some cobia under them. George, the guide, and my dad are up top looking when they spot a bait ball about a 1/4 mile out. They let me know so I can start getting the live bait rods ready and the jigs. Then out of nowhere, as if someone turned on the fountains of Las Vegas strip, the bait ball erupts. George hammers down and we quickly make our way to the commotion. Redfish everywhere, a school like I've never seen. Now I've heard many fishing stories and I know how they tend to grow in size as the story is told, lucky for you guys this is the first time I've told this story since it happened and I'm afraid I still won't be able to capture how big this school of fish was. When I say football field size, I really mean that you should imagine a football field of red drum all crushing these baits. If you ever wondered how Jesus walked on water, he did it on the backs of this school of red fish. One toss of the rod and you were hooked up before you could click the bail over. We all managed to land a nice fish, tag them and release them on their way. A triple hook up that I will tell my grand kids about one day.

Oh and we managed one cobia too.

All in all it was a great day with some great memories made. The cobia weighed in at 43lbs on the dock, marking my first cobia off in the book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

What a day! I know y'all had a blast! Thanks for sharing!
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

This is awsome Mollies - write these before you forget a single detail.

I miss fishing up there.

Those old drum are super fun to catch.

Congrats on the first Cobia!

That's awesome bud!
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Right on!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Great work MM! Who'd you fish with?

That's my backyard, what we call the "eastside" is a great cobia spot and my buddy said there had to be 100 boats there looking cobia on Saturday.
    Drum (redfish) in the ocean is a blast

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Great work MM! Who'd you fish with?
    George Beckwith with downeast guide service.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    That's my backyard, what we call the "eastside" is a great cobia spot and my buddy said there had to be 100 boats there looking cobia on Saturday.
    Drum (redfish) in the ocean is a blast
    It was pretty crowded but we managed to get away from it.

I've never seen that many redfish together, and they were all the size of the ones we caught, it was an amazing sight.

Looks like a fun time!

Great day for sure! The breeder Reds do the same here in Chucktown offshore, its a wild sight but water clarity being what it is you pretty much have to follow the birds or get lucky. Nice Cobia, love those prehistoric buggers.
    Genesis 9;2

Purty work. Not much beats the excitement of a schooling fish. It will make you stick a hook in something else in the excitement.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Good stuff. That's on my bucket list, behind Elk hunting and Lake Erie Smallmouth fishing.