Thread: Handheld GPS

Default Handheld GPS

Looking for a decent handheld GPS. Will be used mostly hunting and boating around the Southeast. Any recommendations?

Things I've found handy on a handheld GPS (in no particular order):

1) Tidal Predictions
    2) Actual Sunrise/sunset
    3) Alarm clock
    4) Barometer/Altimeter (basically the same sensor but it predicts weather changes when altitude is constant and reads elevation when weather is unchanging. If altitude and weather are changing, you'll have to do some on-the-fly calibrations).
    5) Rugged 12VDC connection - I like to have mine plugged into a RAM mount and powered by the boat's 12VDC system but it's ready to go if I need to take a walk. The disposable lithum batteries are not affected by brutal cold and lightweight so many GPS units will float with lithums. But, they die with little or no notice so keep some spares. The GPS units powered by mini and micro-USB are not as rugged as the ones with the bigger power plugs.
    6) Color, sunlight readable screen
    7) NOAA Charts (for saltwater) and Fishing Hotspots (with depth contours).

I think a Garmin 60CS is the perfect handheld but it hasn't been made in a long, long time.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

RH is the garmin 60CS what you are currently using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

Quote Originally Posted by scswamprat View Post
    RH is the garmin 60CS what you are currently using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I switched to the 62ST last season because of the larger memory but the mini-USB connector (and power supply) tends to break connection when the boat hits waves. I was thinking about going back to the 60CS and using the 62ST for hiking only. The 60CS takes 12VDC directly and has a rugged connector that doesn't bang loose.

Thanks for the info RH. I have been looking at the Garmin 62S

Quote Originally Posted by youngjedi View Post
    Thanks for the info RH. I have been looking at the Garmin 62S
    It's not a bad unit. My only complaint is the iffy mini-USB power connection.

I'm somewhat in the market for a new GPS ... My one hold back is that on my current GPS, that I've had for almost 10 years now, I have a ton of spots marked. A lot of my OOS places and a good it of in state places as well.

It's one of those old yellow Magellan GPS's, nothing special and the only reason I have it is because of the spots that are marked. Does anyone know if you can transfer those coordinates to a newer GPS model?

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I'm somewhat in the market for a new GPS ... My one hold back is that on my current GPS, that I've had for almost 10 years now, I have a ton of spots marked. A lot of my OOS places and a good it of in state places as well.

It's one of those old yellow Magellan GPS's, nothing special and the only reason I have it is because of the spots that are marked. Does anyone know if you can transfer those coordinates to a newer GPS model?
    Try this...geocaching swiss army knife...

http://gsak.net/

You should be able to import them from the old unit and export them to the new. You might be able to do it from google earth too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Try this...geocaching swiss army knife...

http://gsak.net/

You should be able to import them from the old unit and export them to the new. You might be able to do it from google earth too.
    I'll look into that.

Thanks.