Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheat seed treatments & doves?

I doubt it would be on the market if it killed every bird that ate it.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

I just called my local seed and feed dealer and he said he wasn't sure but didn't think treated seed would kill birds. He further said he wouldn't intentionally let them eat it though either. Since it might be poisonous to birds, I would plant non-treated seed and compensate by applying the maximum amount recommended under the NAP guidelines.

What is the maximum amount per NAP guidelines? I'm yet to find time to read all the regs. I guess I should do it soon though.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    What is the maximum amount per NAP guidelines? I'm yet to find time to read all the regs. I guess I should do it soon though.
    If you are planting for wildlife, up to 200 lbs per acre.

Please read this: Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    200lbs per acre when broadcasted is a lot of wheat. Which is legal when planting on correct seed bed. (Plowed dirt) I can promise you it wont germinate after scorching it in a 55 gal drum. Must be bad seed? Yes there will be some tickets wrote. But it's gonna be hard on GW unless some dumb ass puts it in piles, which will happen. You can call it what you want,but it's baiting. I call it "planting for doves"
    Better watch what you write down on the internet buddy, or the ol' GW shouldn't have any problem making the state money at your place. Planting for doves, nice.

The bottom line is don't be sniffing certified wheat bags, don't drink Gramaxone and stay of the innnerweb with your dirty laundry!
    Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    For every dumbass post like this I'm shooting a fawn. Yall are at two.
    Berkeley County Blue Blood

Conservation Permit # 5648

Leaving treated seed on top of the ground is illegal according to the label and then you will be dealing with not only DNR but other federal officers.

Empty treated seed containers and low germinating seed should be destroyed by burying at least 18 inches deep in an isolated area away from the water supplies. Note, treated seed exposed on soil surfaces will be hazardous to birds and wildlife.

However per the Clemson document you must be using certified seed.

Another note: read the NAP sheet carefully - either a soil test must be done or fertilizer applied to reach certain soil levels, and each strip can only be planted once. Meaning you can't sling wheat on the strip or field October 1 then come back and sling it on the same field Nov 1.