Thread: Cubic Yards of Dirt

Default Cubic Yards of Dirt

Looking for a formula to figure how many yards of dirt in an acre dug to 20 feet.

I'm sure I could just google it but I hate to read through a bunch of useless crap when I could just ask the question here.

Anyone happen to know the going rate for a yard of dirt? It's primarily sand, some sand clay mix.

pm me if you'd rather not post info here.

2670 cubic yards?

Default Cubic Yards of Dirt

43,560 (I think) x 20 / 27 = cbyd

After seeing moose's I think I'm wrong.....my formula is a shit ton of dirt
    Last edited by cleancutredneck; 07-25-2014 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cleancutredneck View Post
    43,560 (I think) x 20 / 27 = cbyd

Appreciate it, that is what I was looking for!

your correct, I had it set to 20" deep.
    32,266 ish
    Last edited by scmoose; 07-25-2014 at 08:11 PM.

I have just the place for you to dump it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Bested by Tee. Just damn...

3-4 dollars per yard. Supply/ demand market as well as location based.

You got 20 acre feet my dude...simple conversion 32,226.67cyd

FYI an "acre foot" is a unit of volume for one an acre 1' foot deep... Duh
    Last edited by CAMO SNOB; 07-26-2014 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Had 40 acre feet
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

If you are getting someone else to do the digging and hauling, the price will be closer to $0.75/yard. Sand is easier to find a use for than clay. You'll need a mining permit and water discharge permits. How quickly it sells depends on construction needs close by. Hauling is the expensive part. A few extra miles can mean the difference of whether they use your dirt or some from another pit. The top couple of feet (grubbing and overburden) will need to be pushed back and may or may not be marketable. Your neighbors will hate you because of all the trucks speeding around at rude hours in the morning and tearing up the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    If you are getting someone else to do the digging and hauling, the price will be closer to $0.75/yard. Sand is easier to find a use for than clay. You'll need a mining permit and water discharge permits. How quickly it sells depends on construction needs close by. Hauling is the expensive part. A few extra miles can mean the difference of whether they use your dirt or some from another pit. The top couple of feet (grubbing and overburden) will need to be pushed back and may or may not be marketable. Your neighbors will hate you because of all the trucks speeding around at rude hours in the morning and tearing up the roads.
    10/4 I am selling , no neighbors to worry about. I was thinking in the neighborhood of around $3/yard but that might be too high. There will indeed be a good amount of grubbing. Judging by the other surrounding pits in the neighborhood I figured 20' was a good general depth.

Any idea on how long the permitting process takes?

Google cu yrd calculator
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

Permitting can take a while and you need somebody who is familiar with the process. Notices need to be sent out to neighbors and there is a waiting period for them to respond with any objections. The entity whose name is on the permit will have to post a reclamation bond of several thousands of dollars. You need to plan on making a big hole to attract a mining company. They likely won't be interested in anything less than 10 acres or so. Banks will have to be at least a 3:1 slope down to around ten feet of depth. Get a good lawyer to write the contract and make sure you have the right to assume or transfer the permit.

The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) is proposing to revise and reissue the Mining General Permit – GP1. This General Permit provides statewide coverage to a class of mines meeting specific criteria: a) mine only topsoil or sand/clay, b) are five acres or less in size, c) depth of twenty feet or less, d) do not process material (i.e. screening, washing), e) are not located in wetlands or other sensitive environmental habitats, and f) are not located in areas with known significant cultural or historic sites.

This General Permit will also apply to eligible mines in the Coastal Zone. This notice also serves as public notice for the required Coastal Zone Consistency (CZC) review to determine the General Permit’s consistency with the policies of the Coastal Zone Management Program (CZMP).

This General Permit has an associated Reclamation Plan requiring the mine be restored to an acceptable land use (i.e. grasslands, ponds; development) after mining is completed. This post-mine land use must meet the minimum standards as outlined in Regulations.

Once finalized, this General Permit will apply to eligible mines in the Coastal Zone and replace the previous General Permit issued January 15, 1999. A copy of the Draft Permit is posted with the notice on the DHEC webpage at http://www.scdhec.gov/PublicNotices/Land. The most significant changes are the requirement for financial assurance, improved maps and an increase in the application fee. Interested persons may submit written comments by 5:00 p.m. on September 9, 2014, to:

SCDHEC/BLWM
    Attn: Joan F. Litton
    2600 Bull Street
    Columbia, SC 29201
    803-898-1362
    Email: AskMines@dhec.sc.gov

DHEC will hold a public hearing to receive additional comments on August 26, 2014 at 2:00 pm in Peeples Auditorium located in the DHEC Sims/Aycock building at 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, SC. All comments received by September 9, 2014 will be considered when drafting a final version of the General Permit.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?