Thread: Rod and reel combo?

Default Rod and reel combo?

My fiance has an super old Zebco push button rod and reel combo, that she's had since childhood. That thing will catch fish, but is starting to wear out. The line won't stay tight when holding with any tension on it. Looking at getting her another one, and was wanting to get her a spinning reel. She isn't too happy about learning how to work it, and she just wants to keep her old Zebco. I know they still make that style, but I have never bought one, and have no clue what's out there. What's the best bang for my buck on a push button reel? It will be used for mostly bream and the occasional catfish.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

One that has metal gears and not plastic. The zebco rhino used to be the ticket, but I haven't bought a push button in quite some time.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Just go to wally world and get her a medium duty spinning combo for $25, and teach her how to throw it. It took me <5 mins to teach my 8yo daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy06 View Post
    One that has metal gears and not plastic. The zebco rhino used to be the ticket, but I haven't bought a push button in quite some time.

I'm the same way. That's why I'm asking you guys. I haven't bought anything but a baitcast and one spinning reel in the last 15 years.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

I would do that woodduck, but the girl is stubborn. She is comfortable with the push button, and wants another one.

ladies zebco 33 w/ one ball bearing
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zebco? A thread about a freakin' Zebco?

Someone call HS...

x2 on the one with metal components

I bought my son an 808 and had a rod cut down for him to manage. Rod has no action and the reel is about like a Warn Wench.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

You get him the regular 808 or the heavy duty saltfisher model? I'm looking at those and it seems the heavy duty one may last longer and if we get into some bigger catfish or something she can still use it.

Saltwater.

Good deal. Thanks for the tips. Momma is gonna be happy.

Forget Zebco! Buy her a daiwa goldcast or silvercast reel. Best drag and line pickup of any pushbutton reels on the market. You will not go wrong with this.

Get a zebco omega, its the best thing out there for the money in a pushbutton. This reel will run as good or better then alot of the baitcasters in the $100 range.

I bought one of these for myself in April. Has a few hundred fish under its belt so far and is doing well.

jws, you fishing that cajun line?

Yep, its actually not so bad. This one in particular came with 6 lb line. I use it primarily for crappie and shellcracker. This is the smaller omega.

Breast Cancer Awareness Zebco combo. Can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Yep, its actually not so bad. This one in particular came with 6 lb line. I use it primarily for crappie and shellcracker. This is the smaller omega.

Never used it. I fish the power pro sonic braid 10 lb on my baitcast reels an 8 on my spinners. Might have to give it a try.