Thread: Made some wingbone yelpers

Default Made some wingbone yelpers

Decided to try to make some wingbone calls from the gobblers me and my buddy killed. It was a pretty damn fun project. I wish I would have used thread and acrylic instead of painting and epoxying the joints like I did, but they'll work.

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Nice!
    "The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

"Some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters." - Archibald Rutledge

Solid work!
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Thanks ladies.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Nice shooting.

Nice work

I'd like to know how to do the thread wrap myself
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    Nice work

I'd like to know how to do the thread wrap myself
    Solid colors are pretty simple... but some of the patterns guys are making these days look like they require a lot more patience than I have

Kiss my ass Tater...Apparently I had a flier.

TG, how do you tie the thread off, and what do you use for the acrylic?

Good looking calls
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Kiss my ass Tater...Apparently I had a flier.

TG, how do you tie the thread off, and what do you use for the acrylic?
    You don't tie it off at the end. You lay down a separate piece of thread in the shape of a loop, making sure to leave plenty on the tag end. You wrap over this loop, and when you come to the end, you simply slide the thread through the loop and slowly pull the tag ends. This works the end of the thread under your wrap. When you pull it all of the way through, trim it as close as you can to the wrap. As far as the acrylic, I assume you mean the finish that is put over the wrap. Most makers were using epoxy when I was doing it, but there may be something better out there now.
    Last edited by Timber Ghost; 05-22-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Yea, that's what I meant. I think I understand what you're saying. Wouldn't that be the same way that you would tie rod guides onto a rod?

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Yea, that's what I meant. I think I understand what you're saying. Wouldn't that be the same way that you would tie rod guides onto a rod?
    Like serving a bow string.

I assume you do the same with rod guides.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Yep

Thanks Gypsy...didn't really thing about that comparison either. Got it.

Thanks TG.