Thread: Stun Guns

Anyone have experience with these? My girlfriend asked me if I'd look into getting her one.

I had a stun gun at one time, (I threw it away). Personally, I would prefer not to have anyone get so close to me that I would have to touch them. That is too close for comfort, especially for a woman.

Give me a snub-nose .38 revolver, (loaded with hollow points), any day over a stun gun. Sometimes the sight of a gun is all it takes to make a "bad guy" change his mind.

Concealed weapons permit training makes a great gift, (I am not kidding, either).
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

I agree Vicki. I've taken her shooting a few times and tried to talk her into a CWP, but it was a no go. She's set on a stun gun.

My question is: is there a differnce in the voltage on these things? 950k volts versus a 150k volt? the 950k sounds better, but is there really a difference?

Nay to the stun gun. BOOOOOOO!!!!!

Yea to the pepper spray. WHOOOOOOO! The ladies are not afraid to spray some shit out of a bottle, but some are hesitant to drop the hammer. My wife refuses to carry a firearm, but she will tote the spray and does all the time.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

One of the gentlemen on the site will have to answer the question regarding voltage, because I have no idea.

Have you shown your girlfriend the difference in "reach"? What are the chances that her reach will be greater than that of a would-be attacker? I just would not take the chance that I, (armed with a stungun), could out-reach a bad guy with a knife/gun/whatever. If you are that close, use your knee, keys, fingers to the eyes, etc and save the money. A self defense class might be a better investment.

I know not a thing about pepper spray. I like the weight & feel of a .38 revolver - just a personal preference.

A .38 protected me & my children once in Memphis, TN. I just pulled the gun on the would-be attacker, (all we saw after that was ass & elbows) - but if it had come down to the bad dude & my kids, I would not have hesitated to pull the trigger.

Just my 2¢ worth.
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

Your right about that. Pepper spray works at a distance just like the 38, but, not as deadly.
    They both work.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

What happens when the pepper spray doesn't work?
    Kill them all...

If you aren't willing to tote a gun, pepper spray (at least 10% capsaisin) is a decent backup.

Spray, and run like hell (and dial 911 if appropriate)

Note: Pepper spray is ineffective against certain folks, especially people of Pacific islander decent (including many Samoans)
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Go with the .38. I fill you would be wasting your time with "pepper spray", that stuff would just make someone made if they are really wanting to do harm to you and your children. The stun gun will just stop the attacker from attacking you!! They will just find someone else to attack. The .38 will stop them and hold them down for you until the law gets there, if it actually came to that.

You could always do what the police do = carry both (spray and gun), and sometimes all three (spray, stun gun, real gun). If the spray doesn't work, fill their sorry ass with as many holes as possible. I would never carry a stun gun unless it was for prank purposes.
    Kill them all...

Originally posted by That's Mr. ELMER to you:
    Go with the .38.
    Mr. ELMER learn to read... she don't want a fugn handgun. The spary will put down the badest mother fucker on the bolck, if you don't think so I'll be happy to spray you at the FF workday this weekend. Get the woman some spray. [img]graemlins/coolio.gif[/img]
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

If she has a problem with a real gun and fear the stun gun's effective range is her reach only. WHy not look at getting her a Taser?? Same concept as a stun gun but with the range of about 21 feet.

Me personally I carry a 45 and .38 on occasion both at the same time.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Originally posted by CAMO SNOB:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by That's Mr. ELMER to you:
    Go with the .38.
    Mr. ELMER learn to read... she don't want a fugn handgun. The spary will put down the badest mother fucker on the bolck, if you don't think so I'll be happy to spray you at the FF workday this weekend. Get the woman some spray. [img]graemlins/coolio.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]What if she goes to push the button on the spray and nothing comes out? This does happen. Sometimes it's good to have backup for your backup.

I don't want to pay my "fugn" taxes, but if I want to stay out of prison, I have to.
    Kill them all...

Tasers are VERY effective... but you need to train on them to be able to tap into their potential.. Don't do it right, and you may end up in worse shape.

I ain't lookin' forward to getting zapped before they issue me one.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

skinnee, I'd bet you do not carry or have a CWP. hell you may not be old enough to buy a handgun [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Swamp Rat, when you get "Tassed" you need to get it on video

Worst thing in the world is to have a self defense weapon and not know how to use it.

Imagine spraying pepper spray into a strong headwind missing your assailant.

Imagine having the stun gun in nervous, unsure hands...falling on the ground. The time she spent fumbling with that she could have run and gained distance between her and her attacker.

Worse still, being more afraid to use a gun to defend herself against an attacker, who then subsequently takes it from her and makes her a rape victim as well as a gunshot victim.

Whatever she ends up with...just make sure she knows how to use it and is comfortable doing so. If she cant manage enough dexterity with any of the above, she is better off with a set of keys in her fist and time spent a self defense class.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Originally posted by CAMO SNOB:
    skinnee, I'd bet you do not carry or have a CWP. hell you may not be old enough to buy a handgun [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Swamp Rat, when you get "Tassed" you need to get it on video
    I am big enough to where I don't need a CWP. But, when I am loading the boat early in the AM or late at night, I sometimes carry a glock with me (You have to drive through "the hood" to get to the marina). You don't need a CWP to transport a concealable to and from an area of fishing or hunting in this fine state.

I would carry it more, but the problem is, the first thing my fiance asks me as I am leaving at 3:00am is "Will you leave the gun with me?" This is from a girl that was not raised with guns in the house and was scared of them (whatever that means). I've taken her shooting several times and let her get used to it and now, she wants it around and couldn't imagine not having one in the house. They key for a woman is to get a smaller gun (I got a medium sized 9mm glock) and let her shoot it and make it fun for her. I told her that if someone breaks into the house to yell that she has a gun through the locked door. If the criminal doesn't leave immediately, he is there to rape or kill and to unload the clip on that mother fucker and ask questions later.

So, one day I might get a CWP, but for now I have to get another pistol to make it worthwhile.
    Kill them all...

I recommend the class, they are offered all over the state and it's pretty much a class on when you can unload your clip and not go to prison for doing so. If an attacker is in your house it may or may not "require deadly force." You can go to prison for killing someone who is attacking you if "deadly force" was not required in self-defense.

Take your girl with you they will teach her to drop the hammer and how to do so for real.

I have been meaning to do so, but just haven't gotten around to it. She will definitely go with me. I even put a deposit down one weekend and it ended up being fishing weather, so I ditched the class.

If a criminal breaks into my house when I am there, the pistol is the least of his worries. I might choose to go for the silent kill with the spear gun.
    Kill them all...