Thread: Pop-up Blind on a Bugbuster?

My cousin bought an Avery Pop-up blind to go on his old-style (not the 2001) 14' bugbuster. I tried to help hime get the blind together and mounted on the boat. The problems we have are how to attach the blind to the boat. Basically, he wants to attach the blind out on the wings of the gunwhale in the rear and on the deck on the front of the boat, to leave as much space inside as possible. The angle on the gunwhale will probably have to be shimmed, but there is no access under the fiberglass in the rear of the boat to aloow for a nut/bolt assembly. Any ideas as to how he can anchor a screw to the fiberglass in the rear? The deck is no problem, as you can access the underside from the storage compartment.

Sheet metal screw or wood screw with 5200 compound. It will stay there until the cows come home!
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Instead of having to drill new holes, just use the ones already there that are in the rubber strip around the boat.

BTW, that 5200 is as strong as truck stop coffee!
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

Dukhunter, please elaborate on that one. How would the holes around the edge of the boat be helpful? Would he have to buy Avery's bracket to use those?

Yeah, I don't think I read your first post well enough. My fault. Are you looking to access the underside of the "wing" near the stearn of the boat? I guess what I'm trying to say is that High Tide boats have screws already drilled in them wether it's around the outside on the rubber piece (which would not help you any as I see now) and along the inside moulding. Again, I forgat you were using the Avery blind......just trying to keep you from possibly having to drill additional holes.
    This probably doesn't help you one bit, my bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

You need a threaded insert that stays "captive" in the fiberglass. You can then install a stainless steel fastener to mount your blind. It will be much stronger than a wood screw or sheet metal screw and won't leak. Check your PM and I will give you details on where you can find them.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....