Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Park City Ski Trip

Quote Originally Posted by stephensj9 View Post
    Just got back from there about 3 weeks ago. For the beginners in the group I wouldn't go to canyons until the second or third day, they only have about 3 or 4 greens that you can access from the main gondola ride up the mountain. I'd go to deer valley first and see how everyone is doing for the first day and then try canyons. We stayed at canyons and got our room on VRBO it was about $500 for 3 nights which is the cheapest ski in ski out I could find but I think it's a little cheaper in March. You also can get some decent discounts on lift tickets and ski rentals if you reserve them early so I recommend that. Deer valley doesnt discount theirs ($108 per lift ticket) but canyons does and saves you about $20 a ticket and you can save 20% on ski rentals at aloha ski if you reserve them early. As far as food be prepared to pay for a nice dinner if you go out downtown, the best restaurant we ate at was the river horse which I wouldn't ever visit park city again without going to. Get the wild game trio. Ho.lee.fuck. Our bill was $200 for two people but that included a $50 bottle of wine. It was well worth it to me.

As far as things to do other than ski and walk around downtown I guess you could go to Olympic park if that's your thing but there's not much else to do. I would recommend going downtown Salt Lake City one afternoon/night we really enjoyed Mormon square and the whole city is just a really nice place. Oh and rent a car when you get there. I payed less than $200 for a whole week for a honda civic and it was worth every penny. A round trip ride from the airport would probably be about the same price.

Hope this helps if you have any specific questions just ask I'd be glad to help out if I can.
    This is spot on given your crowds mixed abilities. Average or less than average skiers will not enjoy The Canyons as much as other places. There are only three resorts in NA that don't allow snowboards....Two of 'em are in Utah...Alta and Deer Valley(the other is Mad River in VT). It sure is nice being able to ski some bumps without having all the boarders who don't know what they are doing, going down the mountain sideways scraping all the snow off! Alta is a skiers mountain. They limit the number of lift tickets to keep crowds to a minimum, which is nice since most of their lifts are antiquated and relatively slow. It only has 2000' of drop but is great terrain. I have been going to PC for many years, but cant tell you the last time we skied Park City resort. Too many better options out there. If you do not plan on having transportation there are shuttles(right around $30 IIRC) that run every day from Park City to both Alta and Snowbird.

Around town, go to breakfast at the Eating Establishment(Double E) and Squatters Roadhouse. Make sure you go to the High West Saloon(conveniently happens to be ski-in/ski-out if you are skiing Park City) if you are a bourbon aficionado, as they have a great selection and plenty of small batch private stocks. Get a buffalo burger at No Name Saloon and go to dinner at Mustang. No Name Saloon for late-night debauchery.

Small world we live in, great advice. I will be booking this weekend so keep it rolling...

Quote Originally Posted by stephensj9 View Post
    And about the bar thing I don't think you have to have "memberships" anymore. If it is solely a "bar" you can just go in and have a drink, if it's a restaurant they make you buy at least an appetizer if you are drinking. They have a few silly alcohol rules but they are mostly just bs stuff like no doubles.
    I hope they did away with it. It was easy to get around, but still a stupid rule none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyGuy View Post
    Small world we live in, great advice. I will be booking this weekend so keep it rolling...
    And VRBO is a great option for booking a place. I have used it several times to book places at half the price of what other websites were wanting for lodging in the area.