Thread: Land/Timber Value

Default Land/Timber Value

Trying to comp price a piece of land on my own. I know what the dirt is worth to me but valuing timber is not a strong point. 10 Acres of pines that are 8-12" DBH that have been thinned twice. Best I can tell they were planted in the 90's in rows 10 x 10. Looking at 10-15 yrs to the next thinning. If I clear cut it now I would say $900 an acre. How far off am I?

Lot of variables come into play here. You're best bet is to get a forester in your area to look at it for you.
    Last edited by SOUTHERN WOODS; 01-30-2014 at 08:37 PM. Reason: '

Your estimate may be pretty close, but without seeing it it's hard to tell. As said in above post a lot of variables can come into play when pricing a tract of timber. As long as your stand is pretty uniform the easiest and quickest way to get a good sound idea on value is to go take you 9 or 10 plots in it. Won't take 30 minutes to do. If you need anymore hp let me know.

More or less I am trying to get a ballpark to see if the owner has it grossly overpriced. Not really wanting to her a forestor until I get serious about purchasing.
    Last edited by Smilee; 01-30-2014 at 08:53 PM.

Assuming he even knows how to take a plot. Even if you figure out the ratio of pulpwood to sawtimber that it is running per acre you'd still need to know on average of what the mill was paying in that region. Take for example in the area that I work, pine pulpwood is currently bringing $8-10 per ton. Travel 65 miles southwest of me and I can double that price. Depends on the area and the wood.

I'd probably pm Gbelly or someone else on here if you're around Columbia and buy em' a case of their favorite beer for a little advice.
    Last edited by SOUTHERN WOODS; 01-30-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Smilee if its close around go ask Clyde to look at it he's looked at some for me and is generally spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Justintimesc View Post
    Smilee if its close around go ask Clyde to look at it he's looked at some for me and is generally spot on.
    Clyde Brown?
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    Clyde Brown?
    Yep