Quote Originally Posted by sc high tide View Post
Also, the attitudes that are expressed on this thread are one of the reasons we see food production leaving our country. Everybody is ok with sitting down to a nice meal with reasonably priced fruits and vegetables as long as it's not grown in my back yard.
I'm no tree hugger, and believe we should use our resources in a prudent and conservative manner. No one is protesting the farm. Hell, we welcome it. The issue is the amount of water they intend to pull and the run off of the fertilizer ( chemical or chicken shit). Up until this year , the Edisto River has been very low. There were many places that were only a few inches deep. What many don't realize is how narrow the river is up on this end. Its almost 3 times wider where they monitor the river flow than where this proposed withdrawal is taking place. So , those numbers would be be different that what the flow is up river. If this farm is allowed to continue , the potential destruction of the surrounding wetland will have a huge impact on the condition of the river , the hunting and fishing as well as aesthetic beauty of the wetland. I think what many of the surrounding concerns are asking is to properly vet this issue and insure that the waterway is protected from any potential contamination. Not to use skewed data, by taking flow rates from 20+ miles down river.

How many of those farms that are "moving away " are located next to the longest navagable black water river in North America ? I'd venture to say ........ 0.....