Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cell phones and chirren

Default Cell phones and chirren

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    Most of you old farts that didn't have cell phones until you were older, is because you're old farts and they didn't make cell phones until you were infact, older..
    That is correct. If text messages, picture messages, facebook, Twitter, Tinder, SnapChat, etc. were around when I was in college, I would have been hell on wheels.
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Have a cheap one you give them when they need it. No internet, minimum text/minute plan. You hand it to them when they go somewhere they will need it and you get it back when they get home. Once they go to college, let them have it but still no internet!

Quote Originally Posted by HartClemson99 View Post
    That is correct. If text messages, picture messages, facebook, Twitter, Tinder, SnapChat, etc. were around when I was in college, I would have been hell on wheels.
    You did pretty well despite our bag phone technology..... there is just less evidence.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I think that the question that needs to be asked is why would the kid need a cell phone? If it is because all his friends have one then that is the wrong answer IMHO, however if there is a real need, age is not very important. A cell phone is not an entitlement or rite of passage, but many see it as such.

I remember the bag phones, and to be honest, I still wish that they were available. They would work almost everywhere. Very few dropped calls. In all my travels around the state 20+ years ago, I only found one spot not too far from Hampton where there was about a mile stretch where there was no coverage. Never found another spot in the state where it wouldn't work. Might be scratchy as heck, but it would work......as long as you had an external antenna. The handhelds are certainly a lot more convenient, but the coverage is STILL not a shadow of what the bag phone once had.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

JAB, how old were you when you got a cell phone? Did you not somehow survive without one? There's yo answa right there.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I got my first car mount phone when I was 18, then the bag phone and then onto the "Brick" around 21 or so. I paid for mine but also worked on the road many many many miles from home.

My daughters are 12 and 14, they got their phones when the reached 10. We got rid of the house phone probably 8 or so years ago even before the smart phone. I have found no reason to take the phones and their are top of their class in grades, sports and have no over crazed interest in boys. Wife and I decided on their maturity not totally on age. So I say there is no magic number (age), each child is different. Also mine are not glued to them either. Heck one right now is watching softball pitching videos on her sister's computer and other is watching Jeopardy.
    Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.

I got one for my son at 11. He is an avid deer hunter (3-5 times a week) and a straight A student. I felt it was safer for him to have the phone so we could text getting in and out of the deer stand. Plus I make him text me before he shoots anything less than a monster buck. Everybody has their own standards and I always thought I wouldn't get him a phone before high school. I take his phone and check it regularly and never found anything above his age level. He has had it for a year now and has never abused any of his privileges. One day I may be proved wrong but in this case I don't think so.

I remember getting Dad's old Startac when I was around 15. Joker always had service. Then it was an ole Nokia with snake on it. Thought I was in high cotton then.

My Grandma had a bag phone with sticky notes on it with numbers. She never used it. Would actually go sit in the car to call her sisters and catch up to use her minutes.

I got one when I went to college. It was for emergencies as well. My cousin got the first cell phone I ever saw,other than a bag phone. It was a gray Motorola and looked like a walkie talkie
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

When they can pay for it. Same thing with a car. I don't know what law came into effect that said parents must buy their child a car at 16. A cell phone at age 14. Etc. you get shit in life by earning it. Better off to learn that lesson when your young.

Interesting question and one I have not considered yet, as my children are a bit too young but it wont be long I suspect. Hell both my boys can work my wives droid better than her already. We have no landline and damn sure dont intend to get one any day soon. I like the idea of using it as leverage or a privilege backed up with restrictions when they have done something less than ideal. Defiantly limiting minutes, call #'s and number of text. Once they start footing the bill, they can have what they want.

I had a dial pager and an ass of quarters at 15, payed for by me. and we communicated pretty easily with our people. Flounder Pounder had a message writer, I thought that was high-tech!

If i was lucky mom might let me take her bag phone, but I was strictly forbidden to even turn it on unless it was an emergency.

In the last 5 years my old man has obtained his first cell, turned off his landline, and even text a bit now, which still amazes me...

Didnt get my first cell until 23-24'ish-1998 era. would love to give it back, any day...
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.