Thread: Nest Thermostat

Default Nest Thermostat

I have been thinking about purchasing one. I know some of yall on here have them. Give me the pros and cons.
    "...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

I don't have one but have thought long and hard about it. I don't think there's a downside to them except the cost. I have a friend that builds homes in Charleston and he swears buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAP Hunter View Post
    I have been thinking about purchasing one. I know some of yall on here have them. Give me the pros and cons.

Buy one. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    Have you seen a direct impact on your power bill? How many months do you think it will take to recoup your initial investment? I have 2 units so it would be close to a 600 investment for me. I'm trying to figure out how to control my power bill. Damn thing in peak summer/winter is running me 375-400 a month and is still 275-300 in the spring and fall
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mhogancu View Post
    Have you seen a direct impact on your power bill? How many months do you think it will take to recoup your initial investment? I have 2 units so it would be close to a 600 investment for me. I'm trying to figure out how to control my power bill. Damn thing in peak summer/winter is running me 375-400 a month and is still 275-300 in the spring and fall
    I feel your pain........

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    Why won't I regret it? Give me some information on why you like it.
    "...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

SOB, that's a big power bill!
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAP Hunter View Post
    Why won't I regret it? Give me some information on why you like it.

I like the Nest because it learns your schedule. Unlike a conventional programmable thermostat that requires re-programming, the Nest adjusts as you adjust with the seasons. I've had my Nest for at least three months now. I rarely have to change the temperature in our house. If I'm in the living room and I feel like it's a little cool in the house, I can open the app on my phone and adjust the temperature. If we decide to go away for the weekend and I forget to adjust the temp, I can pull up the app and adjust it from anywhere. In the event that you do forget to adjust while you are away, the Nest will automatically set the away mode if it doesn't detect you in the house for a certain period of time.

In terms of how much we've actually saved, I'm not sure at the moment. I don't have numbers from last year to compare to at the moment. We could do a lot better by changing the temps at night while we are asleep. As for the daytime, it's hard to adjust and save like most people because we have a crazy schedule. I bought the Nest because of its ability to learn our schedules and adjust temps when we like them adjusted. I got tired of constantly changing our programmable thermostat.

Awareness is probably one of the best features of the Nest thermostat. Until now, I never knew exactly how many hours our unit was running throughout the month. Nest sends you a monthly report to let you know how you compare to other people in your region.

With the Nest program, you can control both units from the same app. You live in a newer house that is probably 10 times more efficient than mine. You should be able to recoup after you realize how many hours each unit is running.

Don't worry, you soon won't be paying the same... They just approved a new rate increase, so you'll be paying more

Snap,

I've got this one http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/P...e/Prestige.htm it has wi-fi and allows you to change the schedule from anywhere with the app. I don't know how efficient it was before as last week I just had to replace my entire A/C unit. Simple and easy system, and is similar to the nest except it doesn't learn your schedule but that's ok as I can change it online
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Xhail, you only earned two damn leafs in July? What the hell?

Because that's when I bought it. Get off my leafs.

F'ing leaf poets!
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.