Thread: VA man catches giant Frankenfish

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default VA man catches giant Frankenfish

VA man catches giant Frankenfish that will haunt your dreams forever

Caleb Newton’s three-foot catch could be a world record fish.

A Virginia man hauled in a 17-pound, six-ounce Northern snakehead fish that could be a world-record fish, both in that it’s the largest Northern snakehead that’s ever been caught and it will also set the world record for most nightmares given to this reporter.

Snakehead fish are sometimes known as Frankenfish because they can walk on land. They’re known as snakehead fish because they have heads that look like snakes. So, basically, this guy caught a three-foot-long snake monster fish that can walk.

Before I start a national panic, I should point out that…actually, no. I’m going to start a national panic. There are three-foot-long snake monsters LITERALLY WALKING out of the POTOMAC RIVER. EVERYBODY FREAK OUT.

The fisherman Caleb Newton was the man who wrangled in this hellspawn, and the fish was so big that he wasn’t able to fit it in his cooler. He submitted the fish as potentially being world-record size, as it weighs a couple ounces more than any Frankenfish ever caught before. We will report back if he wins the world record, assuming the fish haven’t eaten us all by then.

That’s Newton above, posing with the fish, in a photo that was probably taken mere seconds before the fish turned around and ate him. (UPDATE: The fish did not eat him. But I’m guessing it’s just biding its time.)

Frankenfish are native to China, Russia, North Korea and South Korea, but their populations are growing in North America, where they are considered an invasive species. They have no known natural predators.

Let me repeat that: they have no known natural predators. The only things that kill Frankenfish are humans and other Frankenfish. That’s also right. They’re cannibals. Franken-snake-cannibals. Sent from the depths. That can walk. That are in the Potomac.

Well, we had a good run, Humanity. I’m going to go down to the banks of the Potomac and surrender now to our new Snake-Fish-Monster-Cannibal Warlords. Perhaps they will be lenient.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I didn't think these things could live as far north as Virginia. Matter-of-fact I thought they could only live in southern Florida.

If they are in Virginia that means they will soon be, or maybe already are, here in SC.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I didn't think these things could live as far north as Virginia. Matter-of-fact I thought they could only live in southern Florida.

If they are in Virginia that means they will soon be, or maybe already are, here in SC.
    They are all over VA and MD and have been for about 10 years.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...163943568.html
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Two have been caught in Lake Wylie. One was kept and one was released. Maryland has undergone some pretty drastic actions trying to rid themselves of those fish. Draining lakes and starting over and such.

The bowfishing community here has welcomed them with open arms. Here's evidence of a good evening on a Potomac tributary.

"The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Why would anybody in their right mind release one back after catching it?

Ya eat'm ?
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by perdiem View Post
    Seriously. They should have their license revoked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by perdiem View Post
    It was the first one that showed up in Wylie and they didn't know what it was so they didn't want to get caught with an illegal fish so they threw it back. After it made the news up here the second person to catch one knew what to do.

i would be willing to bet that there has been more than one caught here in SC, and i imagine more will be to come.

they look an aweful lot like a mudfish and i imagine could easily be mistaken for one by someone thats never heard of a snakehead.....

I know of another guy that caught one at Wylie, it was never reported but he destroyed it. He thought it was a mud fish but brought it home just in case.