Thread: Leupold's new scope design

Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Looks like the barrel got too hot and melted the scope.
    He would have been nice next year.

Interesting?
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

$$$?
    Rivets Rule

My new Cabelas shooting catalog has them listed from 699.99-829.99. I'll stick with my Swarovski
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    RY-you are a killer. plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Rebel Yell has killed more shit than small pox!
    Stripa Swipa > Ron Jeremy

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Funky looking but it makes sense. The closer you can get the optics to the center of the bore the better.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

My prediction is that it will flop.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Why not go to the Redfield Widefield design?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

I can see the closer to the barrel the better but if the barrel is not really true to the chamber, something will look lopsided and all of all American rednecks will blame the scope for screwing up there gun. And it may be dead on.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

It makes me wonder if the extra huge objectives are really useful or simply there for looks. When the huge objective fad started many years ago, 40 mm was about the biggest one could find. In short order, companies started coming out with 44's, 50's and even 56 mm objectives. I was suckered into buying a Bushnell 56 mm scope. It had a bell on it that was the size of a beer can. It did not seem to have any better "light gathering" ability than a very similar 50 mm model and led me to suspect that they just added the extra big glass for looks. The internal lenses may not even be able to "see" the extra glass. Now that Leupold has carved a chunk out of the rim of a big objective, it makes me even more suspicious of the usefulness.

I wonder how much they charge for a scope shade that will mount on this funky rig?

I like it. I could replace my vari x III 3.5-10x40 with a 56 and keep the same bases.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

The 56mm will probably price out around $900 or better. In this price range, there are better scopes available. Leupolds are rugged and have the industry's best warranty, but optically they don't compare to the competition dollar for dollar. Heck, they don't compare to the Elite 4200 in resolution and light transmission, and the 4200 is less expensive.

A large objective gets you a little larger exit pupil at the same power compared to a 40mm. The larger exit pupil can help a tad in low light if everything else is equal, but of far more importance is the amount of light that actually makes it through the scope and to your eye (light transmission) and the quality of the image. In this, the Elite 4200 knocks the socks off the Vari-X-III. The 4200 is the first scope that I have owned that I can see with as well as my binoculars.

Look at it like this. What can you see better through at night......a large tinted window or a small untinted window? The untinted window transmits more light even though it is smaller.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.