Thread: .308

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Why is it that I don't hear about the .308 being a great deer rifle like a .270 or 30.06?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Because those of us that shoot Deer with a .308 already know it's a great deer cartridge.............

Why gild the lily?!?!?!?!

Probably THE Best deer cartridge.

Accurate, powerful, short case so it can be chambered in a light, handy rifle......what else can be said?

I have 5 rifles in .308..nuff said.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I don't have one. That is why I am asking. I just don't hear it thrown around w/ the other two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I am a Leftie- so my choices are limited.....

In the safe-

Rem 700 VS LH - Heavy Barrel,Leupold VXIII3.5-10x50 -Awesome rifle

Rem 7600 Pump Action-Nikon Monarch 4X

Browning BLR-Leupold 1.75-6X

Savage 99E- Leupold 4x

TC Encore Stainless- Leupold 2.5-8X

All are excellent deer rifles albiet for different uses.

I would love to find a light, little LH bolt gun in 308 and probably will buy an ABolt.

I can only wish that Remington made the dandy little Model 7 in LH. If they did, I would have several.........In fact, that is what I recommend to all interested parties that want a woods rifle that is light, handy and deadly..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

The .308 is a great deer rifle. I have a Remington model 788 in .308 and I still carry that gun every now and then, killed plenty of deer with it. My main tool for hunting right now is a Weatherby 7 mag but the next rifle I buy is goint to be a stainless 308.

A 308 is a great deer cartridge. It is very accurate and if you reload, there is a great choice of bullets to choose from. It was designed to replace the 30-06 for lighter carry and use in automatic weapons. It is only a little less powerful than the 30-06.

The 308 has set all kinds of accuracy records in competition. The 300 Win Mag beats it at 1000 yards and the 223 is easier to shoot but the 308 holds all kinds of records for accuracy.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Accuracy with the .308 is usually great. With 150gr. bullets I can get 2950fps out of a 26 in. barrel. That is essentially factory 30-06 velocity, but you can get about 3100 out of the 06 if you handload.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

CW, isn't the 165 about the best performing grain bullet for a 308, not a 30-06 or the 300, but the 308?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

For target shooting probably but not for deer hunting. It will certainly kill deer, but is pretty slow. For target/tactical shooting, the 168gr and 175gr SMK's pretty much rule. Mine likes the 175gr better, but most seem to prefer the 168. Mine does OK with the 168 at 100 yards, but at 300 and 500 the 175 is clearly better. If you happen to have the fortune to shoot at 1000 yards (I have not yet) you will likely find that the 168gr. SMK won't make the trip. The 175gr. will though. The 168gr. will destabilize in the trans-sonic range as it approaches sub-sonic (about 1200fps.). For this reason most .308 shooters limit their target shooting with the 168gr. to 600 yards although it is usually good for 800 yards.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I know two of my rifles like the 150, but for my dense woods shooting and close range foul weather I will use the 165 with a easy open tip. On deer, not targets.

One of them does particularly well with Barnes X but that is not something for SC deer. Another does real well with ballistic tips, but the end results are not always what I have liked.

I have been shooting a heavy barrel 308 that a friend built for me on an Argentine (1909, so it's a '98) Mauser action. Parker Hale barrel and stock. This gun LOVES the 165 factory load from Federal with the Ballistic Tip. I've only killed one deer with it, though... 275 yards, DRT.

Just need some decent glass on it...
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Been lotsa moose shot up here with the 308 as well!
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.