Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: When did TIPS become REQUIREMENTS?

Default When did TIPS become REQUIREMENTS?

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    A tip is a tip, base it off of the service you receive. How hard is that?
    Very rarely will I "not" tip.
    It is always a minimum of 15%, usually more. If you frequent a place and tip well it does not go unnoticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by gundogguru View Post
    That is one of the most stupid things I have ever heard. I think she is brilliant she comes out of school with NO debt none. pretty damned smart in my book. I guess to gradute with thousands of dollars in debt is much smarter.
    Exactly. She is working hard and won't be burdened with 100000 in student loan debt and no job when she gets out of grad school.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I tip the lady that cuts my hair, I always have.

When I go out to eat in my normal places it's usually around forty percent. I like being waited on. When I walk into a place within twenty someodd miles from my house they know what I drink. I don't have to ask. There's a glass of my scotch sitting on the bar when I walk in. New places I work around twenty percent, depends on how much they impress me.

Take out. The wife and I might go out once maybe a week or two. I supply my restaurants, so I try to take out once a week between one of them. I tip well, but I don't wait on my food, and my drink is ready when I walk in.

I've been out twice in two instances where good service was had, and the people dropped change on the table. I won't go out with them again.

Be cheap and complain all you want, but just know at one time somebody might dip their balls on your steak.

Be cheap and complain all you want, but just know at one time somebody might dip their balls on your steak.
    and that's why i tip.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

"If you frequent a place and tip well it does not go unnoticed."

And the inverse is just as true...If you frequent a place and DO NOT tip well, it does not go unnoticed...

I've waited on literally thousands of tables. Started at Po Folks West Ashley (3 months), went to California Dreaming (6 months), then ended up at several finer establishments downtown Charleston (for years, the last place Garibaldi's for 3). The Po Folks crowd wants that .99 tea glass kept full. The downtown crowd wants that 6.99 chardonnay glass kept full...same work, but 7 times the tip (whether figuring 10, 15 or 20 percent), or 14 times if they have two glasses, 21 times if three, and so on...

Did it for a long, long time. Considered myself a professional and made really good money. I was very good at it, anticipating wants/needs, up selling, schmozzing guests, entertaining and making folks' night out enjoyable and memorable, whether they were local regulars or tourists. I was well compensated for my time and skill.

After my second Southeastern Wildlife Exposition, I refused to work that weekend thereafter.

Talk about country come to town....

Default When did TIPS become REQUIREMENTS?

When I walk into a place within my local area they know what I drink. I don't have to ask. There's my drink sitting on the bar when I walk in.
    ^ this

However the place has some new people that just don't get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

How much damn tea do you people need with a meal anyway? All this stress over an empty glass.

"How much damn tea do you people need with a meal anyway? All this stress over an empty glass."

I hear ya, Glenn. I could spot the tea drinkers waiting to be seated. Passed on those tables as much as possible. Set up a sign system with my hostesses (who got tipped out by me right along with the bussers and bartenders) to let them know who I wanted sat in my section.

Most of the other servers marveled at my sales figures and tip outs at the end of the night, wondering how I did it with such consistency. "How do you make such good tips?" "Just lucky, I guess..."

Quote Originally Posted by TealTapper View Post
    I hear ya, Glenn. I could spot the tea drinkers waiting to be seated.
    You orta see 'em at the Cracker Barrel. All hopped up on that bread and sugar. Sweatin' into their plates. "Whar's muh teeee?!"

Quote Originally Posted by TealTapper View Post
    "How much damn tea do you people need with a meal anyway? All this stress over an empty glass."

I hear ya, Glenn. I could spot the tea drinkers waiting to be seated. Passed on those tables as much as possible. Set up a sign system with my hostesses (who got tipped out by me right along with the bussers and bartenders) to let them know who I wanted sat in my section.

Most of the other servers marveled at my sales figures and tip outs at the end of the night, wondering how I did it with such consistency. "How do you make such good tips?" "Just lucky, I guess..."
    So you one of them uppity fuckers who doesn't like serving country folks that drink tea?

I about lost my mind walking into a cracker barrel place for the first time, on a Sunday, mid morning.. I had to give the wife the wavy hand sign that those people were freaking me out.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 02-28-2013 at 09:49 PM.

LOL...

I was an equal opportunity uppity fucker...didn't like to serve country or city folks that only drank tea...

What the hell is wrong with tea? I swear.

It does piss off a lot of servers when I ask for half/half. I do tend to tip well though for getting my drink order right. It pisses me off when I get half lemonade and tea though.

When I walk into a place within twenty someodd miles from my house they know what I drink. I don't have to ask. There's a glass of my scotch sitting on the bar when I walk in.
    When I walk into my local dive, my & my wife's drinks are on the bar before we can get to it. I have left our bartender(s) a $20 tip on a $10 tab. Sometimes they buy us shots. We have a great time when we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    How much damn tea do you people need with a meal anyway? All this stress over an empty glass.
    Exactly. I take two sips from mine before I start eating & won't touch it until I'm done. The wife, on the other hand, will consume three glasses of water. This is usually what the tip is based upon.

Some people might not be able to afford to take their family out to a nice dinner and to do so would be a treat. I don't frown on under tipping in this case. If you're just too cheap to do so, well, that's just plain sorry.

If you go out to dinner and order tea, it means you're boring.

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERN WOODS View Post
    What the hell is wrong with tea? I swear.

It does piss off a lot of servers when I ask for half/half. I do tend to tip well though for getting my drink order right. It pisses me off when I get half lemonade and tea though.

WTF, you turn yankee?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

"What the hell is wrong with tea? I swear. "

Nothing...hot tea, that is. Hot tea drinkers know how to tip....

Think of servers as contract employees, which is essentially what they are.

There is a large percentage of yall that would have at one time, consumed some of my bodily fluids if you came back twice.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

If you go out to dinner and order tea, it means you're boring.
    I'm boring - all I drink is water, tea, or unsweet green tea.

I ain't never aspired to be the kind of person to put grape jelly on fried quail though.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    WTF, you turn yankee?
    I just don't like drinking a glass full of sugar. It's enough to make a person sick.