Thread: Dad's Box Call?

Default Dad's Box Call?

Anybody have or run one of these? He advertises them being build as old Cost boxes. The Cedar and Purpleheart has piqued my interest. I've always had trouble finding a box call that I like, I'm currently still using a 10+ year old quaker boy. He's located in GA, Nitro you ever heard of this guy?
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

I own one. It is a great box. Top shelf.
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Very good calls. I have a couple.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Purpleheart is ugly IMHO.. Sound is too variable for my taste on boxes.

I have bought some of Dad's calls....don't own any now.......

PM me if you want a short list of who I spend my $$$ with. After 35+ years of buying calls, it's a short list I assure you.

South Carolina is full of great box call makers. There are some here as members. Bob Harwell is a damn fine box callmaker. I DO own calls from Mr. Bob.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Get one from Bob or Albert Paul

I have several and have killed many a bird with them, lots of custom boxes out there, everyone has their opinion however

There are several I would consider before a Dad's call. Don't get me wrong Jerry makes some excellent boxes. But I would have to personally run the call before I bought one.
    Nitro already mentioned couple of nice Call MAkers.

I am not a big fan of short boxes. I have ran a few of Dad's short boxes and each one is different but they just don't suit my playing style. I think I only have one short box to my name right now and it is from Al Willis. I have played Bob H callas and they are good too.

If I was going to buy a short box today from a SC call maker it would probably be Irving Whitt or Bob Harwell. If I was going to buy a box from someone other than a SC call maker it would be Marlin Watkins or Scott Bashore. A few of my buddies have boxes from Noel Gonzales and they are pretty sporty too.
    Last edited by SCtrkyhntr1; 02-01-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Good recommendations. I love a Paddle call for sure. I sent a PM to Ziggy and some of the same names were on it..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Irvin Whitt's boxes are built sturdy for sure. Ziggy what time line are you looking for a box. Most of the Names mentioned have long waiting lists....

You may want to check out Jack Scott as well. Hell.........just look at every damn call maker out there!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If you know someone that is going to Nashville that you trust running a box call for you, all the call makers mentioned with the exception of Noel Gonzales and Scott Bashore usually have some available the first day of the NWTF convention. Don't expect to be able to pick one up on the last day though..what they have available usually gets gone pretty quick.

If you want one from Scott Bashore be ready to wait. The last call I got from him was about 4 years ago and there was a 2+ year waiting list then. Worth the wait to get one though.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleCBoykins View Post
    Irvin Whitt's boxes are built sturdy for sure. Ziggy what time line are you looking for a box. Most of the Names mentioned have long waiting lists....
    I have no timetable, I have plenty of other calls so I'm certainly willing to wait to get a good one. Thanks for all the help, I didn't expect this topic to get so many hits. I'm going to get in touch with Mr. Harwell and see what he can do for me.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Lamar Williams has made some really good ones, and I have an Albert Paul that has caused some serious pain.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Have a Wendell Lancaster box, it sings.

Wendall has not gottent the recongition he deserves in my opinon! I have two of his walnut boxes and the first longbox he ever built. If I think of all the calls I have, his are definately at the top. If he still makes calls folks should definately get one, as they are a very, very good sounding call and I don't say that too often. He is a SC call maker as well.
    12-26-98 12-1-13