Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duck Tape....good on you, boy.....

DT while I'm in favor of this TOTALLY I do have concerns how the guns would be handled in the Schools or where the teachers would keep them.

First line of defense would be the folks in the front office I'd imagine. Lock the dang doors and if they come in guns a blazing then they could nip it in the bud right then and there.

I guess what I'm wondering, especially in the elementary schools is would the teachers be wearing the weapon on their side all day during school? Or would they store it in a safe location so the weapon would fall in the hands of a child. Again this is more in the elementary environment but applies to all. By High School you've got kids that could potentially have mental illness that could snap and with a weapon do something that would not be good.

Just thinking out loud here and interested in the discussion
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

I am against this knee jerk reaction to recent events.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

DT, thanks for doing this. My wife teaches English at Aiken High School. By far one of the shittiest schools in the state. The part of the school she teaches in is known as the "Annex" and is actually an old elementary school that was put into use as overflow classrooms. All classroom doors open to the outside and it is well away from the main campus of the school. I for one would feel a helluva lot better if she could carry while on the job.

Squatty & 2th, I agree with both of you.

We have to remember that if someone is crazy and is going to do harm then they will, regardless of the consequences. I don't think you can stop a mental case, but I do think you can make someone think alittle before they act. My point is: the school shooting would probably have happen regardless of weather teachers had guns or not, but the senseless mugging or robbery would probably be prevented if the criminal suspected the person as having a gun.

My Mom owns daycare/preK's in MS and I worry about her all the time. She isn't able to carry a gun either but she would do anything to protect those children. I am all for everyone with a CWP carrying a gun but squatty brought up some good points.

Like him, I'm just thinking out loud. What about teachers carrying something like an X26 taser? If a child were to get it, then all they could do is shock the shit out of another child...no one is dead. If the teacher needed to use it, in the situation like the CT shooting, then it would get the job done for sure.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    My Mom owns daycare/preK's in MS and I worry about her all the time. She isn't able to carry a gun either but she would do anything to protect those children. I am all for everyone with a CWP carrying a gun but squatty brought up some good points.

Like him, I'm just thinking out loud. What about teachers carrying something like an X26 taser? If a child were to get it, then all they could do is shock the shit out of another child...no one is dead. If the teacher needed to use it, in the situation like the CT shooting, then it would get the job done for sure.
    My wife and I have been talking about maybe bear mase, it's long range. But a shooter could still be pulling the trigger after being mased. I like the taser idea better - not sure on how feasible it will be for longer range.

I believe the employees chance of mitigating the carnage improves with additional training than the CWP currently provides.

This bill probably does more to eliminate the "gun free zone" as a reason for a deranged person to choose a school.

The use of smart weapons are a way of preventing the gunns from falling into the students hands.

My bill requires the weapon remain concealed in holster and on person at all times. (unless lead is flying)
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    Was this the first school shooting?

insanity is doing the SOS and expecting different results.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

DT is about to be interviewed in the Upstate on WORD 106.3 in a couple minutes...
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    The concept for the bill has been in motion for a while. The recent incident caused me to file.

There will be plenty of debate both nationally and locally before this could pass. Many amendments will be considered. It will have public input at the House and Senate sub-committee level.

I would love to hear ways to improve without running up the costs.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 12-20-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.