Thread: What is this?

Default What is this?

Unsure of forum placement but here goes.. I saw this protruding from a squirrel I killed. It was under the skin of its front arm. It moves and rolls so I'm assuming some sort of parasite or worm. Any ideas?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351714216.163035.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Looks like a wolf
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

cuterebra: its a parasite/flybot
    Last edited by holdin down the fort; 10-31-2012 at 03:16 PM.

I have killed hundreds of squirrels and this is the first one I have ever seen. Just Over an inch long too. Thanks fellas
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

First frost supposedly kills these worms. If you kill them early in the year/season they are likely to have them. Nasty little things.

kill a squirrel before cold weather or first frost and they usually have them.

Squirrels eat the fly egg and the larvae migrate from the GI tract to the skin and mature. Thats why you see the bumps all over squirrels sometime. Some people say its best to wait until after the 1st frost to shoot squirrels bc it will kill the larvae.

wolves, rabbits get them too

Quote Originally Posted by holdin down the fort View Post
    Squirrels eat the fly egg and the larvae migrate from the GI tract to the skin and mature. Thats why you see the bumps all over squirrels sometime. Some people say its best to wait until after the 1st frost to shoot squirrels bc it will kill the larvae.
    The bot flies lay eggs in the squirrels. Deer, rabbits and even people can get them, particularly in tropics. I think the "wait for frost" wives tale has more to do with the time of year than the actual weather. I've seen squirrels with wolf scars before the frost on years when it didn't frost until November. Supposedly, they don't hurt the meat but they look so gross it's hard to ignore them.

Frost doesn't kill them, they've just usually "hatched" by then.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

A bug
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Cuterebra. Aka wolf. Great fun to pull out of kittens. I pulled a huge one out of a kitten's nostril one time. I always offer them to the pet owner "to use as fish bait."
    Hunting outside the box

wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Cuterebra. Aka wolf. Great fun to pull out of kittens. I pulled a huge one out of a kitten's nostril one time. I always offer them to the pet owner "to use as fish bait."
    This

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Bah! Humbug!