Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New 308 considerations

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Here's an article about the LSA 55:

Classic Guns - Tikka LSA 55
    http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/featu...ka_LSA_55.html

Bruce Potts pays homage to the LSA 55 - Tikka's first bolt-action rifle made in 1967

Tikka started as a cogwheel turbine factory in Finland in 1893. It began to manufacture firearms components in 1918. In 1937 it produced its first hunting gun, the H 45 single-barrel shotgun, which featured an interchangeable rifle barrel. It was not until 1967 that the first Tikka boltaction rifle was made, the fabled LSA 55. In 1983 Tikka merged with Sako. Later the company merged with two other Finnish firms, Nokia and Valmet, and eventually became known as Sako-Valmet Ltd. From this point on Tikka rifles were produced at Riihimäki, the Sako works where Tikka T3s are manufactured to this day.

Old-school action

The bolt action on the LSA 55 is famous for having a smooth operation with less lateral wobble than other Mauser-type configurations. Similarly, the lock-up using opposed twin lugs is good and positive, and its fast lock time ensures accuracy. The old-school solid manufacture is sometimes lacking on modern rifles. Every part is well machined and fits flawlessly. If you are buying one second-hand it is important to check that it still has its separate mortised recoil lug, which is essential to ensure the correct bedding of the action to stock.

Bofors barrels

The original barrels were made in steel manufactured by Bofors of anti-aircraft gun fame with precise concentric bores and accurate rifling. There was a Sporter version with the option of open sights and a Varmint heavy-barrelled model named the Continental. The barrels where chambered for .17 Rem, .222, .22-250, 6mm Rem, .243 and .308 Win. Larger calibres such as .30-06 or .300 Win Mag were available in the longer action version LSA 65. The Tikka was praised for its free-floating barrel and integral scope rails. These combined to achieve consistent accuracy in the worst climates, a characteristic for which the rifle was famous.

Robust magazine

The rifle’s detachable magazine has a three-or five-round capacity and is made entirely from steel. It is extremely hard-wearing, but replacements are hard to source. The stock is beautifully proportioned with well-executed hand-cut chequering and a comfortable palm swell in the pistol grip. No synthetic materials were used in the rifle’s manufacture. It wasn’t until 1997 that Tikka produced its first allweather rifle with a stainless steel barrel and action, and a synthetic stock.

The Tikka LSA 55 or longer action LSA 65 models can now only be bought second-hand, but they are still reliable and accurate rifles that if cared for will outlast their owners.

Not mine but one like it.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 10-24-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    This past Friday night I tried out a new for me stand at our club. The longest shot down the road the stand was on was over 200 yards off and I thought I thought I should have brought my 308 with the long barrel. Instead I had the gun that I reclaimed above.

Anyway, about 6:45 this decent 6 point was walking up the road. A head on shot and I was not comfortable with that. He finally quarted sideways at about 200 yds and I took the shot. That was the last I saw of him.

I went and looked. No blood. I looked in the woods from where he came. A few trails. No blood. I checked the woods on the other side where he was facing. No blood. I started to just look for a white patch through the woods while just walking. This was a fairly clean stand of pines . Still no blood. I looked down at one point and was about to step on him. 121 lb 6. Damn dark deer. The bullet went right where I was aiming and exited just before the right ham. Hardly a drop of blood. Went about 30 yards.

The placement was good but the bullet, a Hornady SST, a ballistic tip type bullet, barely opened up. Now maybe it is time to rethink the round but it goes where I point.....that was the longest shot I have ever taken with that gun.
    OK, we know where the exit was, but where exactly was the entrance wound? Sounds like pretty good penetration for that bullet.

FWIW, to date I have taken 70 deer with NBT's (never used a SST). They were with various calibers and over varying distances. I had exit wounds on 60 of those 70 deer, which I consider to be pretty good statistics for a conventional style bullet, that some consider a little "fragile". Performance has always been spot on. Sometimes they bleed a lot on the outside, sometimes they don't, but it can usually be explained. I wouldn't make firm conclusions based on a small sample size unless the performance was in the extreme and variables could be accounted for.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 10-24-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Imagine a deer quartered toward your left, entrance was low but above the heart right behind the front leg. The path was was apparantly straight through. At the time I wasn't worried about an analysis of the bullet. Hindsight in this matter sucks.

No doubt the penetration was good but what did it do while taking that route. All I saw was a small exit.

I have not lost a deer to this bullet, yet, but there is always some travel.
    Last edited by rp; 10-25-2012 at 06:19 AM.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

If you had hit it in front of the near side leg, rather than behind it, I think your outcome would have been different.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

That 8 point I posted earlier was shot with a Nosler 150grn BT at 108yds or so. The entry was right at the base of the neck in the brisket area, the exit was at the rear of the opposite rib cage. The exit wound was almost the size of a tennis ball with a massive, Ray Charles could have followed it blood trail. That deer ran 70 yard through thick briars.

Same bullet on last night's buck with a high shoulder shot, exit was a bit bigger than a golf ball. He dropped in his tracks, flopped a bit and it was over.

Bullets do funny things when they hit and deer are tough as nails animals. If your shot placement isn't precise and takes out the central nervous system then chances are they'll move some before they go down. Take out the bone and spine and it's not going anywhere.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    If you had hit it in front of the near side leg, rather than behind it, I think your outcome would have been different.
    Yes. The bullet probably just went through lung and a liver and did not hit anything hard.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.