Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Potted Meat

Potted meat was standard grub in the truck when I was hunting with my ol' man as I was growing up. He loved good souse meat too. I think that's the same as head cheese. We'd also stop at an ol' country store and get some thick sliced bologna, hoop cheese, some Duke's and mustard and a loaf of bread. Sardines were good by him too, but I didn't care much for 'em. I also remember vividly him and his buds cooking up pork brains and scrambled eggs. I ate 'em just fine, but I don't think I had any real idea what I was eating.

The things we'll do to our younguns....
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I live in chicken and meat processing plants for my job. We package truckload after truckload of this stuff that gets shipped overseas. Trust me when I say to those of you who eat this on the regular, you do not want to think or know about how this junk is made. That is all.......
    I'm going to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a whole lot of noise.

I dont mind potted meat the key is to eat it with something sweet. I love Vienna and I mean love. I eat them for enjoyment sometimes not just neccesity;for everyone concerned about how it is made let me say this. Fried porkchops are my favorite food ever. We have 1000 contract hogs and i have felt for years that if the average person saw those NASTY slabs of bacon they would think twice about their BLT. These sum bitches are filthy, shit eating, canabalizing creatures. I still love me a good chop
    Last edited by coon hunter; 08-07-2012 at 08:27 PM.

But damn they taste good. All animals are nasty in a way. Think about it!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by coon hunter View Post
    I dont mind potted meat the key is to eat it with something sweet. I love Vienna and I mean love. eat them for enjoyment sometimes not just neccesity. for everyone concerned about how it is made let me say this. Fried porkchops are my favorite food ever. We have 1000 contract hogs and i have felt for years that if the average person saw those NASTY slabs of bacon they would think twice about their BLT. These sum bitches are filthy, shit eating, canabalizing creatures.
    True dat. My brother in laws family has a hog farm in Ohio and those things are nasty. They have a dead little pig compost pile that they just sling them into every morning after a walk through. Those are some nasy creatures. But you know what...I don't give a hootie poot. I eat them anyway.

I'm surprised no one mentioned scrapple. I guess I the spelling is correct. We hunted with some fellas in Delware a few years ago and they introduced us to it. Best of my recollection it wasn't too bad.

Went on a service call one time to replace a busted air bag on a refrigerated trailer,ask the driver what he was hauling the answer was chicken carcases. my next question was what is that going to be used for dog food? sorry I asked,he said it would be ground up super fine at which I said then what? He looked at me and asked if eat hot dogs to which i answered NOT ANY MORE!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FULLFANLONGBEARD View Post
    Went on a service call one time to replace a busted air bag on a refrigerated trailer,ask the driver what he was hauling the answer was chicken carcases. my next question was what is that going to be used for dog food? sorry I asked,he said it would be ground up super fine at which I said then what? He looked at me and asked if eat hot dogs to which i answered NOT ANY MORE!!!!!!!
    The carcass frames get run through a grinder and are basically "mulched" into the pasty red meatish substance. The end product is run through a chiller that extracts out of a huge chilled pipe looking like it's spewing red tooth paste. The smell is unforgettable.

So we are talking basic floor trash, huh?

Hell, I like good liverwurst too. Fresh baked "I"talian bread, smear it with real butter and wurst, damn! Makes you want to put on horns, get in your boat and go pillaging the coast.
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

Quote Originally Posted by jon428 View Post
    I'm surprised no one mentioned scrapple. I guess I the spelling is correct. We hunted with some fellas in Delware a few years ago and they introduced us to it. Best of my recollection it wasn't too bad.
    Scrapple is only really found in upper MD, DE and southeastern PA. I've had it - it's like a liver puddin' wannabe.

Speaking of which, liver puddin's where it's at!
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I like anything that has been mechanically seperated. Mom use to make Beverly sausage and eggs over toast when I was a kid and I loved it. I bought a can of it as an adult and it reminded me of dog food. I don't remember it looking or smelling like that.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post

DE, Spam is way more popular in NC, than it is in SC. From what I have noticed living here the last 8 years....hell some restaurants sell spam sandwiches in nc.

fucking strictlean is nasty, and that is some NC shit to.
    I saw on a foodie channel tonight that more Spam is consumed in the state of Hawaii than anywhere else.

NC (Shelby in particular) has the patent on liver mush too. Even the name sounds nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERN WOODS View Post
    So we are talking basic floor trash, huh?
    Tell the man what he's one Bessy.