Thread: Leupold Vari-X III vs Bushnell Elite

Default Leupold Vari-X III vs Bushnell Elite

I've tried searching the forums to specifically compare these two scopes, but couldn't find anything.

I currently have a Vari-X III 3.5-10x50 sitting atop my rifle. I've had it for close to 10 years and it's been a pretty good scope. My only complaint with it is that it's decent in low-light, but certainly not the best. I'm looking to upgrade in that department and have seen great reviews for the former 4200 Bushnell Elite scope. It seems that the 3200 and 4200 have now been combined into one Bushnell Elite scope family. For those who have owned/shot through both of these, is the new Elite scope worth upgrading from the Vari-X III I currently have? If not, what should I be looking for to improve in low-light conditions. Also, I've shopped around on Natchez Shooting Supply but any other websites I should be looking at would be appreciated. Thanks.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

SWFA, OpticsPlanet, MidwayUSA, Midsouth Shooters Supply, Sinclair etc.

I have both of those scopes and the Bushnell 4200 is hands down clearer and gathers more light than the VXIII does. My 4200 is also a 30mm tube and is about 1/2 again as heavy as the VXIII too. Vortex, Trigicon, Ziess, Burris and many more make a line in that same price range. I'm not sure what you get with the new Elite Lines at Bushnell though, I know the Tactical and 6500 are still top notch.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I've got the same Leupold as you. The windage adjustment broke and I sent it back for warranty repair. In the mean time, I bought an Elite 4200 on sale for around $150. When I got the Leupold back, I compared by scopes side by side in dim light and the difference was impossible for me to detect. The 4200 is still on top of my rifle and the VariX III is still in the box. My next scope will probably not be a Leupold. I've got a Weaver Grand Slam varmint scope that is even brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I've got the same Leupold as you. The windage adjustment broke and I sent it back for warranty repair. In the mean time, I bought an Elite 4200 on sale for around $150. When I got the Leupold back, I compared by scopes side by side in dim light and the difference was impossible for me to detect. The 4200 is still on top of my rifle and the VariX III is still in the box. My next scope will probably not be a Leupold. I've got a Weaver Grand Slam varmint scope that is even brighter.
    I have a couple of Super Slams that are about as nice as you could ask for for the money I paid for them. Crystal clear, no glare, but I don't know how they are in dusky hunting conditions yet, I imagine pretty dang good. Weaver isn't a company I'd overlook for a scope these days.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I have no idea how the current Bushnell Elite series compares to their discontinued 4200 series. So I can't really answer that. The scope to compare with in the Leupold line now is the VX-3. I like mine. But I would check the threads on Optics Talk for info as well.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

The new leupy is pretty sweet as are the zeiss conquests
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I'd take a 4200, or a Zeiss Conquest or Swarovski before I'd pick up a Leupold 'anything'. They've got a great warranty, but I've always found them lacking in low light. I used to have a VariX-III and sold it for a 4200 with no regrets.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Cabelas euro scope are made by meopta. Have not seen one in person.

I am done with leupy as well. Looked through a 4.5-14x50 mark 4 lr/t and was not impressed at all for the price.

As much as I hate to admit it, the 4200's are better than I would like to admit for the price. I still laugh about a thread on here a while back about a guy exchanging a conquest for a 4200. While I like the 4200 a lot, I have yet to look through a conquest that looked worse.

Leupold rode their name too long and are trying to play catch up.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I have not tried out the new VX3 line but I have the older Vari-X-III scope that you speak of as well as the 4200. No comparison, the 4200 is hands down better in light transmission (not light collecting which is a misnomer). There is a Leupold generation between the Vari-X-III and the VX3. It is the VX-III. If you are using a Vari-X-III, there is a whole nuther world out there waiting for you.

I agree that Leupold rode on their reputation for too long, but that was before the internet spread like wildfire and yanked their drawers down for everyone to see. They had a lot of catching up to do, but may have done it with the VX3. All I can say is that if you are still using a VX-II or a Vari-X-III, I am sorry.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 07-25-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.