Thread: Jump Shoot.

Default Jump Shoot.

How many of you shoot ducks from a canoe,pirogue,inner tube, etc.
    Been thinking about purchasing something to paddle creeks or the river to
    shoot birds this season. My biggest concern is maybe coming up on somebody in a pothole off of a creek and shooting birds near them. Pros/cons? Any advice?
    Non Supporting Member

Get a motor and run the creeks. Sneaking up on them all quite ant no fun nor does it give them a fair chance. At least they get a fair chance by hearing the motor coming. Some of the best creeks are around Samworth down around Georgetown. Thats were i use to see people doing it the most.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Get a motor and run the creeks. Sneaking up on them all quite ant no fun nor does it give them a fair chance. At least they get a fair chance by hearing the motor coming. Some of the best creeks are around Samworth down around Georgetown. Thats were i use to see people doing it the most.
    Thats illegal.
    Non Supporting Member

Not unless you get caught
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I do it and love it.the biggest pain is getting someone to pick you up down stream/river.Unless you have 2 in a canoe.Take turns shooting and paddling.Don't talk so loud so they don't hear you and you can hear them.Look for ripples on the edges ahead of you.I use a sportspal canoe for 2 and a poke boat when it's just me,love that poke boat.
    Last edited by Zeke; 06-18-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Don't shoot ducks on the water and if you do, save a shot for defense. The last time a jump shooter came around the bend and shot my dekes, I made myself a promise that I would shoot back next time.

It's how I started duck hunting. Hadn't done it in a few years but hope to again this year.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

me and a buddy do it in coleman canoe. we take turn shooting and paddling. we shot more like that last year than setting up decoys.
    Last edited by thawhacker; 06-18-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thawhacker View Post
    me and a buddy do it in coleman canoe.

That's just plain nasty!

When I had my gheenoe with the 8hp it was perfect. Paddle til you got tired or killed a limit then crank up and head back

I got a kayak this year and I am already drifting sections of river to find some sweet little spots. It sure beats sitting at the house

Caiman sneak boat!

Checked out the Caiman. Nice little rig but a little small for me and my son. Ive got idea of what I want but dont know if anything is made like it.
    Non Supporting Member

I'm with Phone, gheenoe with a 9.9. I hunt the Tennessee on the upper end of Guntersville when I am in Alabama. Islands split the river and back bays. Float down one time and go around again or down the other side. Gotta love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    When I had my gheenoe with the 8hp it was perfect. Paddle til you got tired or killed a limit then crank up and head back
    A man can kill a bunch of ducks like this
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Don't shoot ducks on the water and if you do, save a shot for defense. The last time a jump shooter came around the bend and shot my dekes, I made myself a promise that I would shoot back next time.

Who was it who had the kids come flying straight at them this past season and shoot straight at their dekes which were directly between the two boats? It wasn't you PB was it? I can guarantee you if someone comes around and tries to shoot my dekes they'll get a warning shot, then if they still shoot at least one load of steel to their boat.
    Last edited by surfcock; 06-18-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Default Biathalon

I used to chain a mountain bike at one end of my river float. Drive to drop in, make my paddle trip, chain the canoe where the bike was and peddle back to the truck.

Garnered some attention riding a bike with a 12 gauge strapped across my back, nobody ever dare stopped to question me tho.

I quit doing it after an outstanding outdoor news writer wrote a simply glorious article about float shooting ducks in South Carolina. My last float trip was met with empties floating in front of many different log jams, game over.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill