Thread: Shingle question

Looks like I am finally going to have to breakdown and re-shingle the house. What brand of architectural shingle is best and what should I do to make sure I get the best quality job at a fair price? Thanks!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I've done told you dumb ass to call my uncle
    More fuel = more boost!!

Don't have anything to say on price, but will say that after testing all types of roofing and doing damage assessment after hurricanes, architectuaral or laminated shingles are by far the most rugged. Withstand wind driven rain test for 4 hours at 100 mph and won't fail.

Stay with the arch. shingle no matter what else you find out. Regualar 3 tab begin to fail at half of that wind speed. Make sure the contractor puts 2 fasteners per tab, or you will replace shingles after a big storm. Loosing shingles can lead to alot of other problems. Good luck on the actual contractor ends, not my area.

Also- shingling over the old roofing is a very weak method. You have too much air flow under the shingles and results in lifting of the shingles in high winds.
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I am faced with the same decision. The storm played the devil with my roof. The difference between a 40 and a 50 year shingle is only a few dollars per square. The 50 year is thicker, rated for higher winds and looks better IMHO. Depending on the pitch and shape of the roof, you shouldn't have to pay more than about $60-65 per square to take off and put back. Maybe a little more for a 12 in 12.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Go for the metal/tin roof!

A 25 year GAF/Timberline architech shingle is gonna run about $32-34 a square, when you go to a 40/50 year the cost jumps up pretty good I can't really remember exactly cause when I last priced them, it scared me away. Of course the 40/50 looks way better cause of the thickness, they accually look more like a cedar shake, which is what arch. shingles are supposed to do. The seamed metal roofs are nice as hell but then again the cost is expensive.
    A roofer is gonna charge you pretty much the same to tear off the old shingles as he is to put the new ones on around $35-40sq.. Also those 40/50y cause of the thickness are made 4 bundles to the square instead of the normal 3 bundles, which again is gonna cost more. I don't know how old your house is, but I wouldn't shingle over the old roof in my opinion, main reason is the weight added to the house, unless you have a sufficient amount of roof bracing and your rafters are spaced 16" on center.
    My opinion would be to use the 25yr GAF or Timberline brand,they still look pretty good just not quite as much profile showing. Whatever you do just don't wait til it gets cold before you decide to do it so the glue on the shingles can seal up if not they will be loose all winter.
    Welcome to the South..............<br /><br /><br />Don\'t stay too long

Elk Brand Prestique are also very good arch shingles.

Use 30 lb felt also.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

What Hillbilly said... Elk Prestique and Tamko are what most folks are using up this way, 30-year architectural with 30 lb. paper. New construction price is about $80-85/square but this includes ridge vents, etc. needed for new homes. As mentioned above, stay away from the smooth 3-tab shingles. Architectural is definitely the way to go.

I agree with pretty much all of the above - go with a 30 yr. architectural shingle and whatever you do, don't let your installer shingle over the old shingles. People will tell you that practice is okay, but it prematurely shortens the life of the shingle. I think it has something to do with the heat that gets trapped between the layers.

Also, I would probably install a ridge vent while you're getting the roof. Most older homes have soffit ventilation and may or may not have gable vents. The continuous ridge vent will increase the attic ventilation, which does two things - makes your shingles last longer and saves you money on A/C in the summer. It shouldn't add too much to the cost of the roof, in the scheme of things. I'm certainly no expert, that's just my .02.

I don't know how handy you are but installing a metal roof is very easy. For the cost of having someone else put shingles on your roof, you can put on a nice metal roof yourself.
    Rivets Rule

I possess not one decent handyman skill. Sucks to be me!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

I would be getting prices,but I would wait until Ivan blows through. Someone else may pay for it.

HA!HA! Funny you should mention that Cat. We had party at the house two months ago and our "current" agent who is friends with the wife was there. Whilst bullshitting I casually mentioned how I wished a hail storm would come through so I could get the insurance company to pick up the tab. [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

The agent just looked at me. I explained to her that it was said in jest, because I felt like at this point with the roof being 15 years old they probably wouldn't cover shit anyhoo.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Leghumper, you got them again?
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

I've used them all in the pasatand your best bet for the money is Tampco. Cost are around $33-$36/sq and labor cost around Cola is $42/sq. I've got an excellent roofer (used him 4 years,m many homes, NO leaks). PM me or call (803-5185750)and I'll give you his name.
    Jack of all trades, master of none

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

LabL,
    You old blowhard you'll need some that can withstand way more than 100 mph wind!! [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Originally posted by LabLuvR:
    I casually mentioned how I wished a hail storm would come through so I could get the insurance company to pick up the tab.
    My agent, who is a close friend, told me if I wanted it to look like hail damage to get up there and walk around with golf shoes on.

Don't think I can bring myself to that though....
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.