Thread: Topwater Owl

So....I was drinking. Kind of a given. Yep. I have a beer sometimes before i get in a deer stand with a high-powered rifle. So what?

My point? Well, it was dark and cold and windy this past weekend, so i told myself: "Self. This would be a really great time to do some night fishing." So. I went. Me and LCS. Piddling around in the boat. Dark as hell. Kind of giggling at each other about how stupid it was to even try this. We had no flashlight...just a BIC lighter. We are fishing topwater. Its 10pm. Next thing you know, we see a shadow of something hit at LCS' buzzbait. Its a damned OWL. Well, we mess with it for a minute then move off a couple hundred yards so as not to be bothered by the winged beast. I make a cast back into the trees and hook a nice fish...ummmm.....OWL! He has my chug bug by the talons and gets all wrapped up in the braided line. I was able to drag him back to the boathouse where we could see, but I didn't like what I saw--a water-logged barred owl with a fistfull of treble hooks and my line wrapped around one wing and his tail.

As luck would have it, I got some courage in a bottle and was able to extricate the aforementioned beast. He was too wet to fly, but he flopped over to the bank and crawled up in the bushes. He was lucky...and so was I. I would hate to lose a finger....

Pretty neat, though. Night fishing is fun.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

What you CAN'T see in the pic is the title of the book...

A Woodlands Guide to Hunting the Hunter:
    A Friends of the Forrest Step-by-Step Guide to eliminating Stupid Humans

Do owls have large talons?

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Do toofdocs have sharp teeth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Glad you got away with your life Doc, and didn't harm the water owl.
    we used to throw flies for crappie under the docks at stumphole and red bank, and the bats were horrible about snagging your flies.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

A good friend and I was fishing one night around Wyboo and we was tring to fish around the docks and I threw a plastic worm on a dock by mistake and before I could get the bait off of the dock, a Cat caught my worm. I tried to snatch my bait away from him but he liked the movement of the worm. I hooked him in the foot, he started running away from the dock, and started pilling out drag. I ended up just braking him off. We fished on around and when we got back around to that dock the cat was sitting under a yardlight shaking and licking his paw. We got a good laugh about this but I did feel bad about this happening..

My dumbass, in much younger years, early 70's, tried to help an injured owl. That SOB grabbed me with those claws and pierced the hell out of my hand and would not let go. He was real proud of himself. He finally had hooked into one large rat.

I finally got myself pried free and decided he didn't need anymore help. Sonabitch really hurt. Pounding nails in my hand may have been less painful.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

IMHO, osprey fight a heck of a lot harder than owls...I was taking a ...I was using the restroom one day...the anaconda ..never mind.

IMHO, osprey fight a heck of a lot harder than owls...I was taking a ...I was using the restroom one day...the anaconda ..never mind.

I've had to remove trebles from a pelican before. A wet towel and four hands is absolutely nesry.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I've pulled Clark spoons from gulls before, but never hooked an owl.

Do they taste like IBW or Eagle?
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Rumor has it that 2 SCDuckers bothered a couple of tamies late one evening. Heard that the tamies wouldn't fly. A raft of coots at night will scare the chit outta ya too!
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

Yep.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....