Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer baiting- for and against

I know several folks that have received a survey, although I pesonally have never got one either.
    I spoke to CRuth about the survey and he does souond convincing, however, I for one dont buy into it. Call me simple minded or old fashined, but the survey is flawed in my opinion.
    The check stations were flawed also - represented the MINIMUM # of deer harvested.
    Good Dogs- $600.00 <br />Dog Box- $350.00 <br />Old Truck- $4,000.00 <br />Hearing a pack of hounds chase Mr. Whitetail in the SC swamps - PRICELESS!!!<br /><br />I came out here to enjoy nature, dont talk to me about the environment

I thought there was a 10 deer limit in the state?
    <a href=\"http://WWW.bigdaddyoutdoor.com\" target=\"_blank\">WWW.bigdaddyoutdoor.com</a> / <a href=\"http://www.foxhoundsusa.proboards74.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foxhoundsusa.proboards74.com</a>

Varies from game zone to game zone -broaden thy horizens my son! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

For example: Game Zone 11 = No Limit on Bucks from August 15 through January 1.
    Good Dogs- $600.00 <br />Dog Box- $350.00 <br />Old Truck- $4,000.00 <br />Hearing a pack of hounds chase Mr. Whitetail in the SC swamps - PRICELESS!!!<br /><br />I came out here to enjoy nature, dont talk to me about the environment

or call Charles Ruth, SCDNR Deer Manager and let him explain it to you!
    I've had a couple of long dicussions with Charles on how harvest data is gathered and what changes their looking at to improve it, But right now I'll say his "guess" is'nt close! He thinks he's within 1 - 3% of being correct ,I'll say he's lucky to be within 20%.

Also factor in the terrain in which the upstate and lowcountry differ, could have a huge part in #'s seen and killed.
    80-20 Genaration

Originally posted by Catdaddy:
    It doesn't matter how clean it is. If you pour it too thick and prolonged wet weather comes the toxin will form.

Remember spread it thin and not too much at one time. Don't be lazy.

I have seen fawns dead in corn piles more than once.

That is interesting cat. I am not sure it is alfatoxins though. They are caused in corn crops in dry years, and only in dry years. I am unaware of alfatoxin due to moistre, although there are other fungi and mold that get into it. Not to nit-pick, i am just curious if it is actually the same toxin.
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

Originally posted by Sasha and Abby:
    I agree slaya... I have never HEARD of anyone being questioned about that.
    Come to think of it I haven't neither. Hmmmmm????
    More fuel = more boost!!

I agree with Duckman #1 ... Iv spoke to CRuth many a time about the survey. He does a good job of explaining it, maybe "defending" it, but I for one dont but it. Leaves too much room for hunters to lie and fudge their harvest data.
    Id say there is NO 100% accurate method to define the SC deer harvest - not enough time, not enough $$ and us hunter be liars sometimes, LOL!

I did a little digging into the method used. It is same type that some in the health care industry use. Of course the stats of the HealthCare industry begins with are almost 100% correct. The hunter survey will have a few knuckle heads that will lie on anonymous survey so it will skewed because of those guys. That couple with the margin of error already in the survey will only compound the margin of error. But I would guess the margin of error is still way less than 20%.

The same harvest stats generate are then used to calculate the total deer also, so there is another compouded margin of error. But the biologist do have a good idea of the deer density in most areas. The survey can only help confirm what they believe. I would like to see a tele-check and the survey to balance thing out.

In any state that propose changes, the accuracy of the DNR's data is always brought into question, if the SCDNR follows through on buck limits this will become a hot topic.