Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got an old computer laying around?

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Remove the magnets and play the try not to pinch your fingers game.

I personally think open-wrt/dd-wrt/tomato on a compatible home router are the best solutions for the normal home user. The Web Gui is simple and they have plenty of power to do whatever you want (and some things you don't).

Got any sources that say this? I'm finding posts on the monowall site that says a 100Mb wan uses 40-60% of a 500Mhz machine...
    http://forum.m0n0.ch/index.php?topic=399.0
    It's in the reference documentation. If I run across it again I'll post it.

Quote Originally Posted by millero View Post
    why vpn for remote work? there are sooo many other easier ways to do that.

and i have a 486. it used to run pirated satelite code for all the channels...
    Don't just need remote desktop for her desktop or laptop. She all the time has some trouble with router/dsl modem, networked printers etc... I figure if I vlan on same subnet I will be able to get to all that with some security. Definitely not the highest priority project on my list, just something I will eventually tinker with.

Did the same thing with a 486 myself until a card swap and being sued by direct tv caused me to give up the hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I played my butt horn on a wooden pew once. No one seemed to appreciate it, especially my mom who took me outside and put the fear of God in me. To this day I still look over my shoulder to see if she's around before I fart.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock & Rye View Post
    Don't just need remote desktop for her desktop or laptop. She all the time has some trouble with router/dsl modem, networked printers etc... I figure if I vlan on same subnet I will be able to get to all that with some security. Definitely not the highest priority project on my list, just something I will eventually tinker with.
    Install Logmein on her computer. Thank me later.

Looks like the metal versus wooden deerstand thread has gone geek.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Looks like the metal versus wooden deerstand thread has gone geek.
    No doubt Jab! lol I remember that one for sure, and to think Ol Doc stuck his nose in here with no dog in the fight. Hell he still is an avid AOL user or should I say loser.

Thanks for that tip Bub, with the free trial I will definitely give it a shot. Brief view of the site reminds me of the "go to my pc" "my meeting" commercials on talk radio.

I actually have access to a 3rd party solution but to my knowledge, version we have, will not route across the internet only local network, thus my thought of expanding my local network to her house....

This is the proxy program I am talking about.... for the life of me in the 3 years I have been using this product it has not made sense to me why they named the product proxy. Anytime we have a new tech onsite at work and I mention proxy they of course immediately think of a proxy server which is natural.

http://www.proxynetworks.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I played my butt horn on a wooden pew once. No one seemed to appreciate it, especially my mom who took me outside and put the fear of God in me. To this day I still look over my shoulder to see if she's around before I fart.

Default Update

Ok this thread needs some updated geek influence....

Ran the monowall till a lightning strike blew out some ports on a switch and a nic on the old computer running m0n0wall.....

Went back with the old Linksys with WRT for a bit..... got ATT uverse last summer and upgraded all network to gig switches, only two smart, two dumb....

Running Cisco 3750 as core switch now and decided to try a new firewall after playing around with the att box....

Tried to find info on ports and protocals for att video but gave up and segmented all TV recv, xbox, ps3 traffic to the att box behind their firewall...... pulled at DHCP IP and started messing with a firewall again this weekend..

Started by trying PFsense as I now have enterprise exp using it with squid proxy.... ran into prolly small issues and stumbled onto Endian...

Installed this weekend and love it so far.... love IDS, AV, Proxy and Contentfilter built in with no mods to add......

Messed with Endian Bub? How about Astaro? My site might very well benefit this year by dropping an old Cisco PIX and Lightspeed install for spam and content filtering with Astaro along with benefit of IDS.... We already bought 3 years of Sophos AV to deal with a botnet from hell.....

I hate to poop on the party but is this "the" rock & rye? If so, I've got something in my hard drive for you.

uhhh this is awkward, I hope you and your "hard drive" are female

Ok this thread needs some updated geek influence....

Ran the monowall till a lightning strike blew out some ports on a switch and a nic on the old computer running m0n0wall.....

Went back with the old Linksys with WRT for a bit..... got ATT uverse last summer and upgraded all network to gig switches, only two smart, two dumb....

Running Cisco 3750 as core switch now and decided to try a new firewall after playing around with the att box....

Tried to find info on ports and protocals for att video but gave up and segmented all TV recv, xbox, ps3 traffic to the att box behind their firewall...... pulled at DHCP IP and started messing with a firewall again this weekend..

Started by trying PFsense as I now have enterprise exp using it with squid proxy.... ran into prolly small issues and stumbled onto Endian...

Installed this weekend and love it so far.... love IDS, AV, Proxy and Contentfilter built in with no mods to add......

Messed with Endian Bub? How about Astaro? My site might very well benefit this year by dropping an old Cisco PIX and Lightspeed install for spam and content filtering with Astaro along with benefit of IDS.... We already bought 3 years of Sophos AV to deal with a botnet from hell.....

Not sure I could make sense out of the pics though.

I've played with the VM's of both of these. I preferred Endian out of the two, but I've always heard Astaro is very good once you get it configured properly. I honestly didn't give it the time that I needed to get it setup. I've heard alot of good things about untangle as well, but I didn't like it.

Is what you're describing at home or work? I'm assuming work. I don't particularly like the idea of a "all in one" solution for the work place due to the single point of failure of many of the services that we rely. UTM's can be very good if your network is not very large though. I've used Sonicwall's UTM product in the past and it was easy, pretty powerful, and inexpensive overall. I ran a squid proxy to complement the Sonicwall and for easy reporting on web usage.

For home usage, I still think dd-wrt is pretty optimal. If you wanted to go bigger for some reason, try pfsense/monowall on an embedded device or old computer.

rock, you run a c3750 at home? why?

You guys stay ouy of the Sports Forum and I'll stay out of this one!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    You guys stay ouy of the Sports Forum and I'll stay out of this one!
    Deal. GTFO.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk