Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enough Duck Shooting

Default Enough Duck Shooting

Enough Duck Shooting

Carl Safina

MacArthur fellow, Pew fellow, and Guggenheim fellow
    Posted: 01/ 3/12 05:27 PM ET

On New Year's day, I went for a walk on the beach. It's a calm beach along a calm bay. The bay alternately flushes and is flooded by the tides through a narrow connection to the larger sound. In summer it's a fine place for fishing. And in winter that channel is a fine place for loons and for wild ducks, like the exquisite goldeneyes and the elegantly streamered long-tails. I love to see the arctic-breeding species that come to keep us company through our shortest and coldest days. And I love to hear them. I also know, though it's hard to imagine it when we're tucked in tight and snug, that all winter they are keeping their faith, and ours, throughout the season's bitterest storms and longest nights.

A minute into my walk, I come across the gouge of truck tracks on the usually undriven shore. A few yards past, the sand is trod with boot-prints and a heap of shotgun shells. What species of animal marks its territory by sprinkling plastic shells?

And from the bay, mere moments later, the muffled crack of guns.

I think of the ducks who so cheer me through winter.

I think of the duck shooters who enter the birds' most secure haunts and private places, where they go to feed, to hide, to widen the gap between themselves and the grasp of foxes, owls, hawks and eagles. But anywhere they go, seeking sustenance or solace, humans appear, regularly and unannounced. Three months of the twelve-month year, the shooting is a near-constant feature of being near the shore. The noise, which reaches into each room of my home, starts at dawn. Especially on weekends, in the predawn darkness I lie in bed hoping for the sound of heavy rain or wind enough to keep duck hunters home.

Unlike duck shooters, deer hunters perform a service. In the absence of predators like wolves, in the protection of the suburbs, the white-tailed deer that were once shot almost to extermination in our region have in the last few decades come back in such force that they create intense pressure on seedling trees and native shrubs, hazards to drivers, frustration for gardeners, sharply increased rates of Lyme disease (because they are a necessary host to the tick that spreads it) and such severe competition with each other for food that winter starvation likely causes them more suffering than a lethal gunshot. In short, though it's not something I'm interested in doing personally, deer hunting does some good. Plus, I've never heard of deer hunters intentionally leaving the deer they've shot. As far as I know, they're all after meat.

Contrast duck hunters. Numerous times, I have seen duck hunters make no attempt to retrieve ducks they've killed or crippled. I have seen them throw ducks they've shot -- but do not want -- into the bushes and brush. Or just leave them on the beach among their spent shells. I have also found half a dozen hunter-killed wild geese tossed into the woods beside the road. I have found dying long-tailed ducks struggling after being shot (including one whose eye had just been shot out) while the "hunters" were standing in plain sight just a few hundred yards down the same beach, shooting at birds flying by, utterly disinterested in retrieving the dying birds or ending the suffering they'd inflicted. That time, they were shooting only about a hundred yards from the nearest houses, a clear public nuisance.

Another time, I saw a boat motoring rapidly across the surface of the bay, charging groups of sitting waterfowl, with a shooter in the bow blasting at all the ducks trying to get airborne ahead of the fast-approaching hull.
    Apparently, they think all this is fun. I hate it.

As I implied, I enjoy fishing. I find it satisfying, and often exciting. And the fish, delicious. But invariably over the course of a season, a few hooked fish may break the line, or baited rigs will snag on the bottom and break off. And who knows what happens to the fish who drag those rigs or find that bait? Surely some die. Fishing is merely hunting for animals with gills.

But my fishing disturbs neither my neighbors nor all the fish in the area. Its strategy depends on the fish being able to feed undisturbed by the very boats that seek them.

Duck hunting chases ducks from their best feeding locations and forces them to use up more of the precious energy they need to survive the cold.

Who does this? Not your average person. Average people who have indoor things to do, or who need to go shopping, people who like to be warm in winter, who don't like to be wet when it's cold out, who don't like to keep still while their feet and fingers are uncomfortably numb, register low among the ranks of duck-hunters.

The edges of civilization, be it remote locales or mere shorelines, attract people who are not average. In winter, outside, it's really only nature lovers and nature hunters. There's some overlap in motivations: getting away from average people is one. Getting nearer to the seasons, and to the wildlife, are others. I share them all.

I am, by predisposition, a hunter. When fishing I am avid. And I used to train hawks and hunt with them, mainly for rabbits which I -- and the hawks -- ate. As a pre-teen I flirted with a fascination in the possibility of hunting deer or birds. When I was 12, I shot a grackle with a pellet-gun. It never occurred to me that I might hit a bird and fail to kill it.

Astonished, I saw the bird attempt to rise, and, disabled, drag itself into the undergrowth. Thus ended my personal interest in guns.

On admittedly thin evidence, I believe the capacity for pain is higher in warm-blooded animals like ducks and people than it is in fish. Fish act agitated when hooked, and they can act panicked or shocked. But crippled birds seem to really suffer, to show true misery.

I have known some duck hunters. Many are likeable, admirable people. A small percentage of duck hunters are fine naturalists and some even devote their life's work to wildlife conservation. There are also hunting groups whose conservation works or dollars are based on the idea that more ducks overall will mean more ducks to shoot, and that both are beautiful things. And I concede, after all, the beauty in a working retriever and the human-dog working bond.

But other duck hunters -- the ones I most often see -- strike me as slobs. The shooters near my house don't use dogs; they're shooting bay- and sea-ducks for fun, not for meat. They like to kill them but don't want them. Their mess and the wasted birds they leave intentionally; there's no excuse for it. And unlike deer hunting, which benefits people, the land, and the surviving deer, no justification for duck hunting rings true.

But isn't it justification enough that, despite hunting, the abundance of many pond-oriented ducks has been increasing in the last half-century? Well, saltwater ducks -- the main ones that people in my area shoot -- have been declining. Yes, duck hunters pay for a lot of conservation. So do conservationists who don't kill ducks. I invite the former to join the latter. There is too commonly in waterfowl hunters a blind spot for the suffering inflicted. And inherent in the sport is the repugnant waste of killed bay- and sea-ducks that nobody eats.

What is the answer? As a lifelong advocate of fresh air and taking kids outdoors, my recommendation to those interested in this form of recreation is: stay inside. On the couch. Eating sugar and watching movies and playing video games. Safely indoors, out or harm's way, develop your capacity for compassion and humane treatment of animals and people. If you must interact with animals, play with a puppy or get a parakeet. If you must go out, I suggest you challenge yourself to take up birding, which requires vastly more skill and knowledge but still gives you an excuse to buy nice, waterproof boots and a cool camo jacket, and to get wet and cold anyway.

But if that just isn't you, put yourself under house arrest where you're less a menace. Or -- go deer hunting.

Sha poopy
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

That fellow is probably sitting in a nice restaurant somewhere eating a Duck Breast for dinner.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Meanwhile, I have to pick a 6 man limit of blackducks, mallards, wigeon, and pintails we shot in the Pee Dee. Supper will be a bit late tonight...

He is complaining about many of the same things us hunters complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Good point Jay.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Meanwhile, I have to pick a 6 man limit of blackducks, mallards, wigeon, and pintails we shot in the Pee Dee. Supper will be a bit late tonight...
    Bam!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I agree with a lot of what he says. There's nothing I hate to see more than weekly pictures of buffleheads and mergies, and knowing most are shot just for fun and a picture, then thrown away.

If he didn't have relevant points, I wouldn't have posted it...

Just because he makes some valid points (and he does), it doesn't negate the fact that he is a snob elite liberal who will take away your rights in a heart beat. And like some on here, he bitches about a problem without even attempting to address it. Doesn't confront the assholes, doesn't call a game warden, etc.

And this long-tailed duck he mentions - what is that? Oh, yeah, Mr. Politically Correct, true to his tendencies, doesn't want to offend the Oldsquaw faction, while at the same time he paints duckhunters with a very broad brush.

Because if he did something about it he couldn't paint himself a victim and garner sympathy for himself and the lowly duck from the reader. Some people approach life as victims, they're called democrats.

Duck hunters can be the best friend of the ducks and duck hunting...

And they can also be the worst enemy of our sport.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Its sickening to run past a boat set up on big water with a line of dead red-breasted mergansers floating out on the tide as far as you can see. Unfortunately, I've seen this quite a few times. Nope, I didn't call the law. Just shook my head and ran on. I'll do better next time.

And I'd like to know, too, if anybody's eating all those hairy heads and buffles we see on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    Duck hunters can be the best friend of the ducks and duck hunting...

And they can also be the worst enemy of our sport.
    Well daid
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    And I'd like to know, too, if anybody's eating all those hairy heads and buffles we see on here.

There sure seem to be a lot of pics on here of less-than tasty species of ducks. Heck, sometimes there are pics of a boat lined in buffleheads. Sure, a beginner may shoot some buffleheads until he cooks them. On the other hand, I highly doubt the fellas who post pic after pic of buffleheads are eating them. I personally find it disgusting when people shoot ducks just to take a picture of them. The same can be said for the types who have no interest in a duck but to check them for a band (and there are some of these types on here too).

The hen hairy head little brother whacked the other day, got picked and cooked up the next day. He couldnt find a thing wrong with his meal. Last year, he shot two coots on a generously donated duck hunt in the ACE. Both were picked and cooked over an open fire after the hunt. He gnawed the bones until he passed out on the drive home.

My Buffies end up in a shepherds pie, but I typically dont take pictures of my kills for public web. Just little Brother's or a "special" hunt or bird that I feel inclined to share.

RE: the author of the article, he has a point, and a legitimate axe to grind. He doesnt like getting woken up, half hour before sunrise by littering slobs, who also happen to be slob hunters.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 01-04-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I've eaten plenty of buffies. It's all in the preparation.

I've eaten plenty of buffies. It's all in the preparation.

You are one of the exceptions then. I'd be willing to make a healthy bet that 99.99999% of the buffleheads and mergies posted here never make it to the table, or are even cleaned for that matter (regardless of what the poster says). What else would the poster of the dead pile of buffleheads/mergies say? "I shot all these buffleheads and mergansers because I don't scout enough to find tasty ducks, so I took this quick picture of all of them piled on the front of my mud boat, and threw them away"....I don't think you'll hear honesty like that from most of these slob hunters.

Slob hunters make us all look bad, and whenever someone shows up who wants to just shoot ducks (and doesn't have any interest in cleaning/eating them), then I make sure to never take them hunting again. Of course, I end up cleaning and eating their ducks along with mine, but I just never understood the mentality of those who are out to shoot animals simply for a picture....I was taught to eat what you shoot. If you think about it, Argentina dove hunts aren't much different....5 hunters posing behind a mound of 4,000 doves they shot. A large part of that pile of 4,000 will be "given to the nearby villagers" (ie, burned or buried).

Shooting animals simply for the joy of it without ensuring that those animals are consumed is the very definition of a slob hunter, and slob hunters will be the end of all of us. Some may disagree here, but these are the examples which will one day be used as ammunition to gun down the sport we love.
    Last edited by buckfarmer; 01-04-2012 at 11:32 AM.

The minor difference regarding Argentina doves is that, without hunting in place, many of them would be poisoned in the field as pests. Nobody considers a duck a pest species.

The minor difference regarding Argentina doves is that, without hunting in place, many of them would be poisoned in the field as pests. Nobody considers a duck a pest species.

Good point.