Quote Originally Posted by scbulldog View Post
So from what I read here, it looks like they are not censuring private conversations. Am I correct? Is there something else?

I think they are under pressure from the FCC to slow down potential spam and fraudulent messages

"Smartphone users, rejoice: The days of spam calls and junk text messages may finally be coming to an end.

A proposed Federal Communications Commission (FCC) mandate, issued in March, outlined plans to crack down on automated robocalls and spam text messages because of concerns about data privacy and security.

Text messages are one of our most popular forms of communication, quickly connecting people to one another, whether in the case of friends and family, businesses and customers, or governments and their constituents. But, with that popularity comes risk. Unsolicited text messages, which can be illegal, present similar problems as unwanted calls—they invade consumer privacy and serve as a vehicle for fraud, identity theft, and other scams.

Just how bad has this matter become? Americans received more than 225 billion spam text messages in 2022—roughly 675 per person—and more than 2.5 times as many as in 2021, according to a study by Robokiller. Consumer losses from fraudulent text messages totaled $231 million throughout the first three quarters of 2022, up from $86 million in 2020, the FCC said.

According to the FCC, the new report and order, if adopted, would apply to U.S.-based mobile operators and partners who deliver application-to-person (A2P) and person-to-application (P2A) text messages to end subscribers. It would require mobile operators to block text messages from suspicious sources, including phone numbers that appear to be “invalid, unallocated, or unused.”

In addition, the mandate would ensure that subscribers can report any erroneous text messages to their mobile network operator so the number can be blocked. Mobile operators can also block text messages coming from phone numbers that are not used to send text messages."