Thread: NC Bird

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default NC Bird

Second bird of the season/ever, taken on a farm owned by my girlfriends family. I wasnt able to scout so I went in blind, only knowing that there were turkeys somewhere on the 400 acres. I'm new to turkey hunting so I decided to walk down an old grown up road and listen for them. I walked down the road that runs from young pines to a hardwood bottom well before sunrise and didn't hear a thing, nothing responded to the owl hoot so I headed to go back to the fields. 1/2 of the field I was hunting is mid thigh winter wheat, the other is an old corn field. I exited the road and was about to walk into the field when I hit the call. Nothing. I walked into the field when I noticed something bounding to me. Coyote. I shouldered the gun and just as I was about to roll his ass a gobbler went off ~100 yds away. I made the call to let the dog go and hunt the bird. I set up a decoy and got hid well on the ege of the woods. I hit the call again and didnt hear anything so I set the call down and adjusted when all of a sudden I see this red a white thing bobbing through the wheat. I couldnt believe it. He proceeded to walk out into the field about 75 yds from me and began to strut. I hit the mouth call then went quiet, letting the decoy work for me, he kept strutting and gobbled a couple times closing the gap surely but slowly. I was shaking real bad and could hear my heart beat. When he got about 45 yds away I couldnt stand it. I put the bead on his head and dropped his ass. Flopped twice and game over. 10" beard, 1" spurs. A better bird than my first, and the first by myself.
    Last edited by ClemsnHntr; 05-05-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    “Everyone should believe in something; I believe I’ll go fishing.” –Henry David Thoreau