Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking For Some Input

You can buy a S&W 642 all day long on the web for less than $400.

My two bits...

The older I get, and as I shoot a bit more than I used to all of the sudden, I am becoming a newer fan of 9mm. With good quality premium ammunition, it is as good as you need for defense purposes. FMJ or "ball" ammunition is affordable. There are good options around. For me, I'd find a used Glock Model 19 and go forward. There is nothing wrong with SIG's or Springfield XD's - if you find one you like and fits your hand well, go forth. But I like the low axis of the Glock slide (and the S&W M&P slide) for a quicker sight recovery.

As for revolvers, a lot to be said for a Model 642. You have five shots, make 'em count. I carry a 642 in my pocket a lot of times. Sometimes I carry a Ruger LCP - they are easier to conceal without showing than a compact double-stack 9 or larger, but, when I can get away with it, I like a bigger mag capacity.

A compact (not SUB compact) frame 9mm will do you a lot of good, especially a higher capacity gun.

Why not 40 S&W - well, there's nothing WRONG with a 40. I've carried one for work now since 1990. Fact is, ammo is more expensive for the most part, and the recoil impulse is sharper and thus, a bit more to get used to for a newer shooter. 45 Auto - same thing. If you shoot a lot, and have a good cash flow, go for it.

Same can be said for Colt 1911 pattern firearms. I will say that I LOVE the 1911A1 pattern more than any other. I CANNOT, by departmental policy, carry one. So, I carry a Glock. The 1911 style gun is a great gun, but it takes more training to master. (I will probably move to one AFTER I am not restricted by work, but I shoot a good bit and am willing to pay for 45 Auto ammo). So, the simplicity of a striker-fired "DAO" type pistol, like a Glock, M&P, XD, or others makes for quicker mastery.

I have thus driveled on enough. For now.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERN WOODS View Post
    You can buy a S&W 642 all day long on the web for less than $400.
    Bought my wife one for Christmas at Shooters Choice a few weeks ago for $369

With ya Swamp Rat. That is what I always carry and shoot. If that don't do it well.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I will say that I LOVE the 1911A1 pattern more than any other. I CANNOT, by departmental policy, carry one. So, I carry a Glock. The 1911 style gun is a great gun, but it takes more training to master. (I will probably move to one AFTER I am not restricted by work, but I shoot a good bit and am willing to pay for 45 Auto ammo).
    I TOTALLY agree.

The reason I didn't mention the 1911; is Birdboy is being a tight ass. I mean $350 range, come on man! You got tha moola, get you sum nice iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    I TOTALLY agree.

The reason I didn't mention the 1911; is Birdboy is being a tight ass. I mean $350 range, come on man! You got tha moola, get you sum nice iron.
    Don't tell all my secrets! That's how I keep people from wanting to borrow my stuff... "Mike's cheep, he ain't got nothing we need". Hope you and the ladies had a great Christmas.
    HRCH Lemon's Lady Chesney MH
    SHR Lemon's Pinch Of Long Cut aka Hagen
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange

Michael u have a PM

Just my 2 cents but when i was a deputy i carried a s&w .38sp +p airweight as back up on duty and my glock 29 10mm off duty. i am a huge fan of both, moreso the 10 then the 38 but the airweight is light, small and had plenty of knock down power. like others have said it comes down to how comfortable you feel shooting it. the glock 29 is in my opinion just a tad much for a sub compact gun but if you put hogue rubber grips on it; it helps alot. the glock 29 is my "go to" pistol in most situations except for range time where ammo is not cheap and somewhat difficult to find.