Thread: Breaking the skunk

Default Breaking the skunk

Sitting for deer last night and met an old "friend" - heard something slipping up close behind the stand. Turned, and saw the pig. 20 yards... never made a sound coming in. As he got nearer my walking trail, though, he got nervous. Obvious he got a whiff of me. He was snorting and sniffing, trying to figure it out, when I put a 150-grain Remington Accutip from my 7mm Mag through his porcine little brain. Funny thing was, this is the first critter I've shot with the Savage Model 111 "Long Range Hunter", and it was a 12 yard shot. I coulda done it with a pistol.

Here he is earlier this year....

Last night. 228 pounds.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

strong work sir, that dude would be great over oak coals for about 10 hours.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

And whats with the cut ear, I thought that was a thing farmers did? Is that an escapee from a renegade farmer or just war wounds?

You gonna eat good.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBallin View Post
    And whats with the cut ear, I thought that was a thing farmers did? Is that an escapee from a renegade farmer or just war wounds?
    Farmers may notch the ear for record keeping purposes. I could tell you how to read notches, but I'll wait for Mergie to "discover" it on the innerwebz and post it.

Folks used to catch bo' hogs, castrate them and turn them lose for later killin'. They'd cut the ear so they could tell at a distance.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

He wasn't casrated. Broken tusks... I'd say he cut it fighting

Good killins.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    Farmers may notch the ear for record keeping purposes. I could tell you how to read notches, but I'll wait for Mergie to "discover" it on the innerwebz and post it.

Folks used to catch bo' hogs, castrate them and turn them lose for later killin'. They'd cut the ear so they could tell at a distance.
    Ears are notched to distinguish between multiple genetic lines. That did not come off a hog farm. Battle wounds is all.

Forgot to add....

Kill em all.

Quote Originally Posted by cpp4720 View Post
    Ears are notched to distinguish between multiple genetic lines.
    Really? How so?

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Really? How so?
    If your sow herd is a "multiplier" unit you notch the ears of gilt piglets born to different sire lines. For example a line 1 female mated with a line 2 boar will produce line 3 gilt piglets. Line 3 female X line 3 male produces a line 33 female. The line 3's may have two notches on the bottom of the right ear while the line 33 may have a single notch on top and bottom of both ears. The line 3's stay at the farm they're born on as future replacements while the 33's are shipped to other farms for their replacements. Notches are the only way to distinguish the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by cpp4720 View Post
    If your sow herd is a "multiplier" unit you notch the ears of gilt piglets born to different sire lines. For example a line 1 female mated with a line 2 boar will produce line 3 gilt piglets. Line 3 female X line 3 male produces a line 33 female. The line 3's may have two notches on the bottom of the right ear while the line 33 may have a single notch on top and bottom of both ears. The line 3's stay at the farm they're born on as future replacements while the 33's are shipped to other farms for their replacements. Notches are the only way to distinguish the difference.
    :sigh:

The universal swine ear notching system uses the right ear as the "litter number" and the left as the "individual number".

The ears are divided into four quadrants for values of 1,3,9 and 27. The wee tippy tip had a value of 81 (right ear only). Litter number "33" would be one notch in the "27" quadrant and two notches in the "3" quadrant. The left ear would be notched "1", "2", "3" etc. for each pig in the litter. So pig "8" of litter "33" would have two notches in the "1" quadrant and two notches in the "3" quadrant of her left ear.

All that to say this.

Yes, farmers notch ears on hogs.

Yes, feral hogs are sometimes caught and have the ears cut for future ID.

No, Swamp Rat's big ass hog had neither of these.

Nice hog Swamp Rat.

Sorry I boogered up your thread with animal husbandry trivia.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

No worries. .. learned stuff

:sigh:

The universal swine ear notching system uses the right ear as the "litter number" and the left as the "individual number".

The ears are divided into four quadrants for values of 1,3,9 and 27. The wee tippy tip had a value of 81 (right ear only). Litter number "33" would be one notch in the "27" quadrant and two notches in the "3" quadrant. The left ear would be notched "1", "2", "3" etc. for each pig in the litter. So pig "8" of litter "33" would have two notches in the "1" quadrant and two notches in the "3" quadrant of her left ear.

All that to say this.

Yes, farmers notch ears on hogs.

Yes, feral hogs are sometimes caught and have the ears cut for future ID.

No, Swamp Rat's big ass hog had neither of these.

Nice hog Swamp Rat.

Sorry I boogered up your thread with animal husbandry trivia.
    We use the keep it simple method of notching in our multiplier. She's either a gpk1 which is tagged with a barcode scanned tag at birth, a line 3 or a line 33. It's the easiest way of ID when they're produced in volume. Boars in the stud and GPK 1 are the only ones with litter and individual ID's. They're the only animals ranked based on who their parents are.

Sorry for further boogering up the dead hog thread. Like I said before. Kill them all.

Sweet, good learnin....and keep up the good killin

Nice going, Swamp Rat.

Thanks for the 'notching' posts. Interesting stuff.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Good killin Rat!

Aren't Ear Notching and Animal Husbandry classes taught in the upstate?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

I could tell you how to read notches, but I'll wait for Mergie to "discover" it on the innerwebz and post it.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

That picture is pretty cool in the snow. I was itching to kill one then.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

All this ear notchin debate. The man killed a nasty wild pig. Damn good kill in my book.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013