Thread: Worth it or not?

Default Worth it or not?

Recently fulfilled a lifelong dream of purchasing my own land, 112 acres. The timber will need 1st thinning in 1 year, plan to use the funds to build a fish pond ( already had NRCS out). Creek has continued to trickle even in this drought so water looks good. My question is, there is an area below the fish pond about 2.5 acres that might would make a good duck pond. Do you guys think the extra time/expense would be worth it for a2.5 acre duck pond?the property is less than 1/4 mile from the lake. What's your thoughts?

wouldnt hurt. especially being that close to the lake. a few weeks after the rubberheads skybust the public water, ducks will find your pond as a refuge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Me personally I'd take one step at a time. You might end up being completely satisfied in time and money spent when you finish the fish pond. It's what has happened to me before, so that just my personal experience.

Before you commit to the duck pond talk it over with the NRCS people about how it might effect the base of the damn. They have some good people working for them but, just like most all outfits, they have some real nit picky folks. Just had an experience over the term "native warm season grasses" which cost me a good deal of money. Hate to see you build a nice pond and duck impoundment then at the final inspection before payment, they say "you can't do that".

Find a consultant in your area that can advise on forestry, wildlife and wetlands. It will be money well spent.

Might want to get a Forest Stewardship Plan too. It's free and they will write you a mgt plan based on your priorities. Contact your local Wildlife Biologist.
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    Find a consultant in your area that can advise on forestry, wildlife and wetlands. It will be money well spent.
    We happen to have a sponsor on SCDucks that does just that kind of work...

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post

This! It'll keep your ass outta trouble too...
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Build the dam(n) thing. Otherwise, you'll spend the rest of your life torturing yourself over it.