Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Irene

Edisto buoy is reading 17 feet. Starting to get choppy...

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/

Wind is definitely picking up down here in georgetown. Looks like I will be picking up tree limbs again next week.

Winds kickin in johnsonville.
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

winds getting a lil breezey here in Mullins

Big Daddy's on the road to Harkers Island now.

He's going to ride it out at the farm house in Harlowe and survey the damage to the island house tomorrow afternoon if it calms down a little.

I may be headed to the banks on Sunday morning.... Not excited about putting a new roof on.

My crazy ass uncle is riding waves at Hatteras as we speak. He said he would stick it out in his truck if need be.... Stupid ass.

This'll be the best surf they've seen in years.
    Last edited by turbo; 08-26-2011 at 09:22 AM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I have a hard time understanding why people who don't live on the coast give more of a shit about a storm than us that actually do...

but its fun to watch the hypothesisisissss
    xHCFKx

I'd like to thank my dad for coming, and my mom for being there...

I don't live on the coast, but I care because we own property in Beaufort SC, Harkers Island NC as well as family land about 15mi inland in Harlowe NC.

It doesn't matter if it hits "us" or "them"... I've still got to worry.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Harlowe eh?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I care because one like this destroyed my forest, destroyed my barn and flattened my duck ponds about the time you were born.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Harlowe eh?
    I'm floored that you know it.

Harlowe houses a total of about 10 white folks. That's where my daddy grew up.

Shackleford Banks (the southern-most island included by most in the "Outer Banks" of NC) was renamed Shackleford Banks years back. It was originally known, and labeled on most Civil War maps, as Ward Banks. My Grandma Betty's maiden name was Ward. I've got family on top of more family in the "Downeast" section of eastern NC. It's gonna be a rough ride for them tonight/tomorrow.

My Uncle Carl's family owned nearly the entirety of Emerald Isle when my parents, aunts, and uncles were in high school. There used to be some of the finest illegal deer hunting done by Carl and his brothers on that island in the late 60's and early 70's when the law focused on the fisheries.

I've got family on Emerald Isle, Atlantic Beach, Newport, Morehead, Harlowe, Harkers Island, Glouster, Ward, Mill Creek, etc. Other than the coast of SC, there is NO place as beautiful as eastern NC.
    Last edited by turbo; 08-26-2011 at 09:48 AM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    I'm floored that you know it.

Harlowe houses a total of about 10 white folks. That's where my daddy grew up.
    I have only lived in NC for 11 years, I have heard narry a good story about Harkers or Harlowe, some ancient old joke about the inbreeding that I am not old enough to know about.....

JAB, few people remember the unbridled, un-forecastable power of nature until it is at their back door.

Turbo, we need to talk broham.

What JAB said. I spent two weeks living like a vagrant, happy for a cold meal, and didnt get back in my own house until Christmas.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I have only lived in NC for 11 years, I have heard narry a good story about Harkers or Harlowe, some ancient old joke about the inbreeding that I am not old enough to know about.....
    Bwahahaha... You probably won't hear a good story about either one. They are EXTREMELY cliquey communities that don't care much for any "culture", but their own. They truly are good, simple folks that do things their way and that's the end of it.

There has been many a dingbatter and person of color found face down in a ditch or canal up that way after finding themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've got stories from my dad and his brothers that will blow your mind and/or double you over with laughter for days.

JAB, few people remember the unbridled, un-forecastable power of nature until it is at their back door.
    Truer words have never been spoken. Until you see what these storms can do, first hand, you will NEVER understand the shear power of mother nature.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

The eye just jogged to the left. If that thing moves any more to the west, things are going to get exciting along the coast in a hurry.

First band hitting now, it is quite sporty out!
    Let's Fish www.carolinaaeromarine.com Or dip something www.tntcustomcamo.com

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

I care because I live in this state and don't want to see any of my neighbors hurt in any way by this storm. Got a lot of family, friends and co-workers in the path of this thing and I hope everyone can ride it out and come out safe and sound.

Skies are getting dark up heya in Socastee. Wife said its blowing pretty good at the house in PI right now. Looks like the ride is beginning.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

This bitch aint done yet boys hang on

Jab, I was here for Hugo, the cleanup was a big huge bitch. you must think that I"m still 10 years old and posting on my daddys laptop in b/w games of oregon trail. not the case, richard.

my family also has land with what you mentioned that could possibly get rocked by a storm. it may not be two rivers material...

all I'm saying is... most of the folks here are keeping a watchful eye..but not getting all nancy grace over it.

carry good insurance, and get the fuck out if it gets close... thats about all there is to it. mother nature gives and takes.

hate to say it, but a good shakedown couldn't be a bad thing.

now I"m sure some of you sports will blow that last thing said waaaaay out of proportion, so be it.

I think I'll head beachward and watch the waves.

Good day, you weather predictionarians.
    xHCFKx

Quote Originally Posted by stretcharmstrong View Post
    Jab, I was here for Hugo, the cleanup was a big huge bitch. you must think that I"m still 10 years old and posting on my daddys laptop in b/w games of oregon trail. not the case, richard.

my family also has land with what you mentioned that could possibly get rocked by a storm. it may not be two rivers material...

all I'm saying is... most of the folks here are keeping a watchful eye..but not getting all nancy grace over it.

carry good insurance, and get the fuck out if it gets close... thats about all there is to it. mother nature gives and takes.

hate to say it, but a good shakedown couldn't be a bad thing.

now I"m sure some of you sports will blow that last thing said waaaaay out of proportion, so be it.

I think I'll head beachward and watch the waves.

Good day, you weather predictionarians.
    did he hit a sore spot?

Take care of yourself and your stuff.

Good luck.

ahh hell no,

this is scducks...anything taken seriously, especially anything I say... is a pretty dumb thing to do.
    xHCFKx