Thread: hard mouth

Default hard mouth

Got my hands on a older pup (8 months). She is working out well, but she is biting a little too hard on the bumper. Seen people take tacks and put em on a bumper to stop biting down so hard. Don't mind doing it, but just wondering what anyone else has done. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Buteo2808 View Post
    Got my hands on a older pup (8 months). She is working out well, but she is biting a little too hard on the bumper. Seen people take tacks and put em on a bumper to stop biting down so hard. Don't mind doing it, but just wondering what anyone else has done. Thanks in advance.
    Had the same problem with a girl from Birmingham.

We used a shoulder tap as our "safety" signal.

Tacks on a bumper, I hope that is a joke? Damn what some dumbasses do.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Glad you got that one worked out before she got a taste for blood.

Lab, I've never done it, but know it works. Just looking for another route.

Rub the juice of one yeller onion on the bumper

Burnt motor oil sprayed in the eyes, then flush with lemon juice.

Has the pup been force fetched? If so, you may revisit the hand in mouth or try fetching to a green pine cone. If it is only a problem with bumpers and not real game, Im not sure I would worry too much about it.
    HRCH Lemon's Lady Chesney MH
    SHR Lemon's Pinch Of Long Cut aka Hagen
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange

Quote Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
    If so, you may revisit the hand in mouth or try fetching to a green pine cone.

Dammit.

I was going to recommend the pine-cone thing.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Put peanut butter on the pine cone.

You want to talk about a pissed off dog.

Shoooooweeeeee. It is funny though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    Dammit.

I was going to recommend the pine-cone thing.
    If you want I can delete that part.

Glenn, that's just wrong. Would that be like the wolf and the frozen blood on the knife?
    HRCH Lemon's Lady Chesney MH
    SHR Lemon's Pinch Of Long Cut aka Hagen
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange

Sure putting a tack on the bumper probably works. Why not just shoot the fucking dog with bird shot when it misbehaves? That would most likely work as well.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Sure putting a tack on the bumper probably works. Why not just shoot the fucking dog with bird shot when it misbehaves? That would most likely work as well.
    I agree Lab never heard of the whole tack thing I couldnt ever bring myself to do that to my dog. Im in the process right now of trying to teach force fetch. im not really pushing this issue on her just yet but just trying to get her the common idea as she is only 6 months old. If your dog is force fetched properly you will have no problems with her being to hard on a bumper or real birds.

Buteo, go buy you a tire scrub brush with the hard plastic bristles and use it. throw it just like you would your bumpers you can drill hole in the end of it for a throw rope most of them have a wooden handle on one side of them with a hole in the end already. when the dog bites down, the bristles poke in to the gums and beside the teeth. it shoulden't draw blood but if it does it wont take long for the dog to understand what's going on. good luck with it man hope this helps
    HRCH BLUESKY'S RIPPIN RUSTY

Puddle is right I have heard of doing this with the tire brush and actually have a friend that done it with his dog and it seems to have worked well. Definately give it a try
    Last edited by jukinmallard; 11-30-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by puddlepounder View Post
    Buteo, go buy you a tire scrub brush with the hard plastic bristles and use it. throw it just like you would your bumpers you can drill hole in the end of it for a throw rope most of them have a wooden handle on one side of them with a hole in the end already. when the dog bites down, the bristles poke in to the gums and beside the teeth. it shoulden't draw blood but if it does it wont take long for the dog to understand what's going on. good luck with it man hope this helps

x3. Stiff brush should solve your problem. If the dog isnt interested in picking up a brush, as mine wasnt, tape a wing to the backside of the brush. Taping a wing to it solved my problem in no time.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    this aint facebook. we do not give a SHIT about your every move. either tell stories about ducks dying or show pics.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Lab, didn't want to try the tacks unless it was the only way. I wasn't really interested in potentially drawing blood, so I was looking for advice.

Will try the brush and force. Thanks for advice.

Hey man just get your dog excited with some fun bumpers if you have to, in order to make it pick up the brush,but you shouldent have to
    HRCH BLUESKY'S RIPPIN RUSTY

ive never heard of the tacks, but i have heard of some using the hard bristle hair brush with wings attached to it. never tried it though. it doesnt seem as harsh as the tacks but still should work.
    Last edited by KwackWacker2; 12-01-2010 at 08:55 AM.