Thread: gators and dogs

Default gators and dogs

I know there are probably some threads on this already but how do you decide on if to take the dog or not? Do you look at air/water temp? I have some places that we will hunt in Ga. and sc for the first season where i will take mine with no gators but we are also thinking about going to santee for a day doubt he will go there.

I believe water temp is your indicator, don't know what exact temp for a gator metabolism slowdown is tho'. When in doubt, keep him out.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

ive seen gators in the cooper river all times of the year... seen them in december, january, and feb..... BUT only one of two per fishing trip maybe.... so there is always a chance i think

If you think there might be a problem, there probably will be.

If you dog gets eaten, or maimed, dont blame the gator. It'll be your fault.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Have you been back to that pond we checked out earlier this year in GA??

Quote Originally Posted by SCcdp View Post
    Have you been back to that pond we checked out earlier this year in GA??
    Dont know if we are gonna be able to hunt that or not. But did find some birds this weekend in another spot or two on public water.

That's great man...I've got a couple spots i need to go check this weekend. Give me a shout.

I've read that, even if you see a gator in cooler weather, they might not be interested in eating. They can't digest food unless it's over a certain temperature threshold and they can't tolerate going dormant with food in their bellies. Being cold blooded, they can go a long time without eating anything.

this is true.
    Especially for bigger gators which usually eat twice a year.
    Problem is, medium(7-9ft)gators will take prey and store it in holes in the bank until it is warm enough for them to eat.
    In other words, he may kill your dog and jam him under a log only to feast on a sunny day in december.
    I dont take mine unless hunting open water.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I've read that, even if you see a gator in cooler weather, they might not be interested in eating.
    Key word MIGHT!

I hunt the cooper river most of the year. This will be the first year I hunt with my dog and you can bet your ass he ain't making those trips. He will only go when I'm out of state or open water hunting.

I also have seen smaller gators (6-9) during december january and February.

Don't chance it!
    SHR Cooper River Magnum Decoy