Thread: Camp Wildwood

Default Camp Wildwood

Got an important issue that I need your help with. Just was wondering if any of the SCDUCK'ers have ever attended Camp Wildwood. The reason I ask is that the decision came down yesterday that DNR is pulling the plug on this Camp. If this decision sticks it will be a terrible terrible thing. This camp is one that gets kids involved in the environment, hunting and fishing, etc... that would most likely not ever have the chance to enjoy the environment most of us on this site get to cherish and grow up in. If you could please just either send me a pm or post on this thread letting me know if you are an alum I would greatly appreciate it.

www.wildwoodfamily.com

Thanks to merg and trad for helping me out on the previous thread, just had to rename it.

Also, Ceddy, I got you down for attending camp and i will pm you here soon.

My 3 years at CWW meant more to me than words can express! I wouldn't be a forestry major at Clemson without Wildwood! If there is anything I can do to help turn this decision please let me know Sam! This is unbelievable.
    For the ducks

First I heard...

Budget cuts folks. Surprised it wasnt some of the hatcheries...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

My son has attended for the last 2 yrs. Bad news

For all that have attended.
    For the ducks

This is Turk's son speakin,
    This song brings back Some of the greatest memories EVER, just sittin there in the Rec.hall, Thinkin about the week and at first how you didnt want to be here and now you've found yourself not wanting to go home

I totally understand there is a need for budget cuts in local, state, and federal govts, i honestly do, especially in times like these. But this is one thing that is in no need of losing.
    Chris, that song still gives me goosebumps when I hear it. It is a theme song that most should hear in today's world. The camp not only introduces people into the outdoors, and help us realize that it is a privledge, not a guarantee, to be able to have wonderful resources given to us by the creator, but it also lets kids express themselves without reservation. You can really be yourself without any worry at this camp. I know I certainly came out of my shell and I wouldnt be the person I am today without this camp. That week is the hardest week I work in the year, and I absolutely love it. Working hard 21 hours a day from Saturday-Saturday, getting 18 hours of sleep for the entire week, is what I look forward to. Seeing these kids faces the last night, listening to their stories, being told that this camp literally saved a person's life is something I will never forget. To be shut down due to mere pennies is absolutely unwarranted. If DNR was really worried about pennies instead of the impact it has on our youth and their involvement in the wild, they should realize that out of the 100 kids that attend this camp, 75% of them are going to buy a hunting/fishing license after this camp. Most wouldnt even know what one was without attending it.

Turk and Chris, PM's sent! Thanks so much guys.

Attended back in 80's and then after coming to work for DNR I got the chance to go back and teach there for nearly 10 years! There are a bunch of us that attended WildWood that now work for DNR or have gone into some field of work related. It is bad that these cuts could take this away from so many kids each year. Obviously it is above my pay grade but didn't the Garden Club pay for a lot of it and then parents had to pay to send there kids to camp.

The Garden Club, along with Harry Hampton and SCWF and DEHEC and DNR paid for a lot of it but it cost $20,000 to put on this camp. The reason why DNR is so important is not only the funding, but the most important thing is the resources. The SCDNR provides all of the teachers for the classes. Without those teachers, we dont have a camp. Every instructor is a DNR employee, and DNR donates their services each year. They also donate all of the educational services and resources, from blackboards to tents to fishing rods and the list goes on and on. The DNR also donates gas, which doesnt sound like much, but it adds up. They also donate the vans/trucks to take the 2nd and 3rd year kids to their portion of the camp. DNR is one of the biggest supporters, not financially, but without their "resources" they donate, the camp cant really exist.

Resurrecting this old one... just saw an ad for CWW today, good to see it's apparently still going.

Mine aren't old enough yet for this. Anybody got youngins attending?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 05-12-2023 at 02:08 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft