Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Dove Field Etiquette

And only 14 clubs, the 1 iron is dead.

[IMG][/IMG]

Woot woot!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Default Etiquette

DNR etiquette.....200 folks on 1 field has Emily Post rolling in her grave.

Three more weekends to go. Keep it safe and low bird means low bird.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

I hate it when I call out low bird, the asswipes don't duck, and then want to cry when a few little pellets whack their asses.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Ahem

Isn't it time to start a "dove she'll" thread also?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by ndbrown213 View Post
    Ahem

As soon as I saw the thread title I was going to post "cue ndbrown" but then I see you sir are already on it.

there should be something in the original article about not inviting yourself to a dove hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    there should be something in the original article about not inviting yourself to a dove hunt
    That is an unwritten rule that all dove hunters should know.

That is an unwritten rule that all dove hunters should know.
    I have gotten a text from the same individual every year for the past 4 years in a row:

"Hey bud, how's the dove field looking? got any spots?"

bwahahahahaha. I know the feeling. Always respond with a "who this"

bwahahahahaha. I know the feeling. Always respond with a "who this"
    I'll have to try that this year

People come running from the sticks when they find out you have a dove field.

Had one guy follow me down half the isles in the grocery store last week talking about dove hunting and how he and his wife don't have a place to hunt.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

In gonna try like hell to plant some sunflowers next year. What's is usually cost per acre when you factor in everything?
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I have gotten a text from the same individual every year for the past 4 years in a row:

"Hey bud, how's the dove field looking? got any spots?"
    Was his last name Boozer?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SCTurkeyGuide View Post
    The season’s finally upon us, though it’s three weeks out I find myself paying more attention to powerlines and ag fields during my daily commute to and from work. As well, my spare time has migrated from odd and end jobs around the house to getting my dove gear ready for another season. Instead of buying little gadgets and gizmos while “grocery” shopping at Wal-Mart I find myself picking up an extra box of shells.

While my mind is racing, recalling dove hunts from the past several years and daydreaming about hunts to come I find myself going over my “Dove Field Etiquette” checklist… it seems to get more detailed the older I get and the more “mature” I become. I’ve decided to take a minute to jot down a few thoughts on this subject in hopes of serving two purposes; 1) to remind myself of how I should act and 2) to help a few others avoid a sticky situation.

< p>Know the Rules & Regs and know the field’s “code.”
    I’ve hunted many fields in many states and while the general “code of ethics” is similar there are things you should be aware of. For example, I hunt a field in TN which has a 50 shell limit. Not meaning you could only have up to 50 shells in your possession while on your stand, but meaning you could only shoot 50 times. There was a guy on the field who didn’t pay attention to this code back in 2000. That’s the last time I saw the guy. Whether you’re hunting a public field or are going as a guest on a private field, make sure you know that field’s code of conduct.

< p>Be prepared! Be sure to take what you need. License, picture ID, shells, gun, water, etc. Don’t be that guy who runs out of something important (shells) and has to ask others to lend him something.

< p>Be on time! There’s nothing more frustrating than showing up for what is projected to be a barn-burner, all of my mess is ready and I’m eager to listen to the Hunt Master go over his checklist then draw for my stand and hit the field. However, there’s always “that guy” who shows up late and causes the whole group to wait on him before the Hunt Master can get things underway. Don’t be “that guy!” Be early and prepared! You’ll also have a some time to shoot the breeze with other fellas in the club who you may not know. It’s nice to know the names of the guys you’ll be hunting with.

< p>Shoot on time! Be sure you know what to expect. If the Hunt Master is going to signal by airhorn when it’s time to shoot or if you’re not to shoot until you’re nestled into your “stand.” For safety’s and enjoyment sake it’s a good practice to keep your shotgun’s action open (or gun in case) until you have settled in to your “stand.” You’ll have plenty of opportunities to shoot birds and it helps your attitude and mindset when the first time you shoulder your gun you’re in the set and ready position. Be patient and don’t start off on the wrong foot by being “that guy” who starts shooting at birds before he reaches his stand or before “shoot at will” is signaled. That’s a sure fire way to never get invited back.

< p>Only point your gun at what you want to kill. My biggest pet peeve on a dove field is two-fold; 1) when an acquaintance or stranger walks up to me on the dove field to say hey and he’s paying more attention to what he’s going to say than where his gun is pointed and 2) when that same person walks up to me with the action of his gun closed (if auto or pump) or if his double barrel is locked. Unless you are on your “stand” keep the action of your gun open or if carrying a double keep your gun breeched.

Only shoot when you’re on your stand. I’ve seen too many times a guy who wings a bird which sails into the woods behind his position and other patrons. He leaves his stand to claim his bird and walks behind other hunters and is out of their site. As fate has it, while searching for his bird he finds himself in a place where more birds are. He gets caught up in the moment and starts shooting – not knowing exactly where other hunters are. It’s an unsettling feeling when you’re in proximity of someone who’s caught up in the moment and blasting away in every direction. Unload your gun and leave it on your “stand.” Collect the bird and return to your stand, reload and get ready. You’ll have plenty more opportunities to shoot birds. Also, when you fell a bird in front of you and within sight of the patrons around you, open the action of your gun and leave it on your stand while you pick up the bird you just shot. There’s no reason to get in a hurry and run out to pick up your bird with a loaded gun which you probably forgot to put the safety on after the excitement of felling the fowl.

< p>Low bird! Enough said, don’t be an idiot! If it’s a low bird don’t even shoulder your gun, just shout “Low bird!”

Don't drink prior to or during a hunt! This is right up there with shooting a low bird. Stupidity on your part will put others in harms' way. There'll be time after the hunt to have a coldbeer.

< p>Pick up your shells! When the hunt is over, take a few minutes to pick up your spent shotgun shells and empty water bottles. Use the Boy Scout motto, “Leave it cleaner than you found it.” When walking back to the hill pick up any trash/empties you happen upon.

< p>Thank the host/huntmaster. At the end of the hunt make a point to thank 1) the guy who invited you on the hunt and 2) the host of the hunt. You should feel honored that one of your buddies thought enough of you to invite you to hunt with him. You should also recognize all of the hard work, time and money it takes to have a dove field. Take a minute to introduce yourself to the host/huntmaster, compliment him on his field and thank him for the opportunity to hunt that day. I have a pile of “camo hats,” some are DU some are Delta and some are FF. It’s a good gesture to keep ‘em in your truck and give ‘em to kids that are on the shoot. Kids always look up to the guys in the field.

< p>Keep your bag separate! It’s good practice to take a grocery bag with you for the sole purpose of putting your kill in the bag and in the cooler before you drive home. If you have a couple guys riding with you it’ll make things easier and legal if you keep your bags separate.

< p>Take a kid! Take a kid on a dove shoot this year, be it a son/daughter, grandson/daughter or a friend’s kid. The dove field is a great start to introducing a youngun to the world of hunting.

Have a great season, Gents! I look forward to hearing about your tales afield in the months to come!
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    Bump
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

less than two weeks, cant get here fast enough

one more week to go

Ahem