Thread: Hatch or predation?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hatch or predation?

No expert, if I had to guess I would say predation due to there being a total of 8 eggs and half of them being about 3-5 yards away from the others. On the other hand, I would guess a varmint wouldn’t be as neat about opening them, but again, no expert. What do y’all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like a critter would make a lot more of a mess.

I've watched nests that i know have had successful hatches and sometimes there is no shell left (have heard the hen will eat them) and sometimes the egg shells are there and the nest is largely intact.

I saw this on another forum.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 05-08-2024 at 02:30 PM.

hatch
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    hatch
    It hurts, but I agree with doc. I don’t believe a predator would leave the shells in such good shape.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I was thinking the same, what’s off to me is how they are spread out in 2 groups. Almost like a snatch and run a little ways. Unless the poults stick their feet out first and walked with the shell on their head a few yards…

Those eggs were eaten by a raccoon as evidenced by the relatively clean bite out of the side of the egg. Poults hatch from the large end of the egg, not from the side of the egg and shell would be in the nest, not feet away. Raccoons are somewhat fastidious eaters, most other mammalian nest predators destroy the eggs rather than a clean bite from the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdhunter2 View Post
    Those eggs were eaten by a raccoon as evidenced by the relatively clean bite out of the side of the egg. Poults hatch from the large end of the egg, not from the side of the egg and shell would be in the nest, not feet away. Raccoons are somewhat fastidious eaters, most other mammalian nest predators destroy the eggs rather than a clean bite from the side.
    All of this makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Interesting. Never thought about it as I don’t get out enough in the Spring and haven’t seen many nests. Thanks for the lesson.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

This...

I will also add that this nest was probably not incubated yet because of the low amount of eggs. The hen was probably in the process of laying (and roosting in trees at night) when a predator found diner. Also the spread out destruction points to predation.

Once a hen starts sitting, she is pretty determined to stay. Only a bobcat or yote would be able to take her at night - she would beat a coon to pieces.
    Last edited by Sasha and Abby; 05-09-2024 at 05:56 AM.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha and Abby View Post
    This...

I will also add that this nest was probably not incubated yet because of the low amount of eggs. The hen was probably in the process of laying (and roosting in trees at night) when a predator found diner. Also the spread out destruction points to predation.

Once a hen starts sitting, she is pretty determined to stay. Only a bobcat or yote would be able to take her at night - she would beat a coon to pieces.
    Boar Coon wins at night in battle with a hen

Besides that 4 inches of rain we had in mid April weather has been good for the hatch. Georgia got pounded yesterday we dodged a bullet.

I had a hen with poults on camera Tuesday morning but it was hard to see how many. Trapped 7 coyotes off this property and still have a few coming by. I hope they make it.