Has anyone else heard about the Americans being held in T&C for "ammunitions charges"? I heard about it on a podcast today and they had 2 of the 4 "offenders" on. These guys were both on regular old vacations separate from one another, not doing any hunting or anything to do with firearms and checked a bag that they had forgotten had a couple bullets in it. I think they both had some variation of 6.5. No problems at American customs or getting into Turks and Caicos.

They got back to the airport and got called for a "random bag check", then got taken to jail and separated from their families. One of the guys wife was taken into custody as well but they dropped her charges. They're both having to convince local people who they've never met to put up assets (guys have dropped of car and restaurant titles at the police station) to keep them out on bail. Both are looking at 12 years in prison if found guilty.

Wild stuff. I cant imagine being taken into custody for a potential 12 year prison sentence for something that is so run of the mill at home. They've got some responsibility here but it seems insane to hold those people for something that's not even close to purposefully breaking the law. One of the guys is from Pennsylvania and said he hadn't heard much from the US Gov but the other is from Oklahoma and said one of the OK senators has been working on the issue since he was taken into custody. The OK senator is pitching in for the Pennsylvanian now as well