Turkey April 2024.jpg

Spartanburg County near Lake Blalock
Gobbled on the roost good, set up on a cow pasture edge. Cows were between me and the 3 gobbling on the limb.
I got set up and noticed a coyote at 60 yards mixed in with the cows.
I lip squeaked and he ran in to 20 yards but a cow was laying down right behind him about the same time he smelled me and turned and high tailed it.

I didn't hear the birds fly down but they went quiet for a few minutes and I called, and they immediately cut me off over the hill in the pasture just out of sight.
They gobbled at everything and anything and finally crested the hill at 60-80 yards and strutted just out of range and all I could see was head and neck and fans.
They couldn't find the hen and would not come in. I stopped calling and they would drift off out of sight just over the crest of the hill.
I got real aggressive calling and they turned and came back and answered everything with double gobbles etc but would not get any closer than before.

I let them drift off again and tried scratching in the leaves and calling softly. They would gobble but not get closer.
I got real aggressive again and they gobbled they finally circled the cows and came on in.
Dead at 6:55 AM